Post #31 by Martyn Henley » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:19 am

Yes Neil, sounds like the 3C mk1

Martyn :thumbs_up:

Topic author
MrF
Flag: France

Re: Why oh why do people do things like this

Post #32 by MrF » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:16 pm

Havent taken any pics for ages, but theres a few here. Its a 3cIII according to the chassis plate and steel badge by the jackleg :-
Hello to all

Went local tyre house and their tube price was 87e, or I could buy online and have two delivered for 75e from a online supplier. However given the french postal system, the fact that its Bastile day tommorow and a national holiday etc, I doubt there's much chance even a estimated 24hr delivery would make it this week for certain, so 87e it was. Ill cry if I pinch it getting it on...
Tommorow will be mostly spent wresting with large tyre levers, lots of washing up liquid and firm but gentle encouragement to go into place with a rubber mallet...

Hugh Jaleak
Flag: Great Britain

Post #33 by Hugh Jaleak » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:27 pm

I love the 3Ciii, had a drive of one for a few months in late 80's. Certainly looks like a mk3, I stand to be corrected, but they were launched in 1979 as a taste of what was to come with the impending launch of the 3CX in 1980.

Changes were, I think, black steering wheel, 4-1 bucket and associated 3 lever controls, the backacter controls were more upright, hand throttle moved to rear of cab, and the torque converter transmission, with the big lever to select direction of travel. (Try using that with one finger!)

I hope you managed to repair the puncture without too much incident Phil!

Hammer man

Post #34 by Hammer man » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:05 pm

Martyn Henley wrote:
but i WILL find it & get some pics

That sounds like a good idea to me :thumbs_up: both of you

Martyn

Well got a tip off tonight,but no machine when i got there :( :( :x ,although you could see where it was working.
It is a early 3C,late 1960`s,still in everyday use doing jobs around the Shrewsbury area.Its had viarious new coats of paint over the years,but is very much an original machine.
Will keep trying to locate it for some picys :)
2004 Hit ZX350,9556 hrs
2007 ZX350/3,6000 hrs,now with just over 10000 hrs!!!

Topic author
MrF

Post #35 by MrF » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:35 pm

Hugh Jaleak wrote:I love the 3Ciii, had a drive of one for a few months in late 80's. Certainly looks like a mk3, I stand to be corrected, but they were launched in 1979 as a taste of what was to come with the impending launch of the 3CX in 1980.

Changes were, I think, black steering wheel, 4-1 bucket and associated 3 lever controls, the backacter controls were more upright, hand throttle moved to rear of cab, and the torque converter transmission, with the big lever to select direction of travel. (Try using that with one finger!)

I hope you managed to repair the puncture without too much incident Phil!

New tube, 90e later I took the wheel off the machine once I got it somewhere a bit more stable to work on, and dismounted the tyre completely. At which point on the backside where I couldnt see in situ, there was a large chunk of sidewall glued in, with a patch across the inside of the tyre. I poked at it, and the patch piece just fell out. So effectively its a 2" hole in the sidewall because all the cords in the carcass are ruptured anyway, so that must have been the bang, the tube forcing out through the hole and rupturing.
Much deliberation I decided I didnt like the look of it at all and it was beyond my capabilities to fettle so took it along to a local agri emporium and they rebonded up the piece with a large cover piece inside, patched over the inside again with some cord material and told me that it wasnt going to be a good repair and I should look around for another tyre in the immediate future but it would work to get the digger out the field. As we speak wheel's in the back of the van, with a repair and a bit of a hernia on the sidewall. Its horrible to look at though, but it held enough for them to seat the bead and stuff.
So Im going to try pick up a s/h tyre with a bit of life in it when I get the chance and drive over the uk and collect (itll be £250+ for a used tyre here if I can find one) or get a mate to bring it over, and in the meantime its going to have a nice sleep in the barn, no hauling buckets of muck up the big hill excavating or the like for a bit.
Somehow Id rather have found a oversize tube with a knot tied in it...

Topic author
MrF

Post #36 by MrF » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:00 pm

Jeremy Rowland wrote:Sounds very much to me that you may have a bad fuel line connector that is permitting the pump to suck air through so check all your fuel line connections, its one of the oldest problems about when it comes to diesel engines.

Jeremy

Bit of a update, jeremy your spot on, i went through everything again and one of the olives is cracked. Changed it out and everything is a lot better.
Which left me feeling elated, until the tyre went bang again about a hour after she was parked back up...
Now HAVE to get another tyre, some urgency involved...

Jeremy Rowland

Post #37 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:16 pm

Phil I'm glad I was able to help you. :thumbs_up:

Jeremy

Topic author
MrF

Post #38 by MrF » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:51 pm

Jeremy, belated thanks :)

Im just getting together the engine after a rebuild after getting sick of the rough running and popping it open to take a look, rocker pads worn through hardening then some(pics in the project bit) and banana shaped pushrods on the problem cylinder and a cracked head around the water jacket connection. Tigged up the head with 316 rods, built up the rockers with 50rc hardox rods then found a good head and rockers with pushrods for a good price and after replacing the rusted out core plugs its on. From the same seller I got a injection pump which had taken a knock to the top cover and needed a new gasket, but looks good apart from that.

My original pump was missing a steel button inside the filter assembly between the two springs which seemed to be placed to be some sort of residual pressure device so maybe that was part of the ongoing starting problems...

We'll see in a week or so, ill get it right in the bloody end...

Return to “Off Topic”