Working Abroad?

Talk about everything else here.

Topic author
GIZZY
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Working Abroad?

Post #21 by GIZZY » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:11 pm

Broken Piston wrote:Hello Steve. I worked as a fitter in Australia for 15 months back in 2001-2002. I was lucky that the company I was with sorted all the paper work before I went. Had a great time but I found the heat a bit uncomfortable at times. At that time there was plenty of jobs for overseas fitters and plant operators. I know someone who went out to western Oz just a few weeks back. He just got a job as an operator on an excavator. He tells me the jobs are not so plentiful as they used to be. The global downturn is to blame. America might be a bit more difficult to find work as an operator with strong unions and what not.And remember to get the best medical insurance you can find to cover anything that may happen when overseas.

Hello Barry,

Im looking into finding a company that will help me with my paperwork and visa etc etc. I agree with you totally when you say it might be harder to find work overseas with the economic downturn. Perhaps i should wait until everything picks up again.

RichardJW~

Post #22 by RichardJW~ » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:51 pm

that could be a while, Steve.
It's not going to be easy, just get in amongst it......on the brighter side you could say that the stronger companies should survive

Topic author
GIZZY

Post #23 by GIZZY » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:32 pm

RichardJW~ wrote:that could be a while, Steve.
It's not going to be easy, just get in amongst it......on the brighter side you could say that the stronger companies should survive

Just got to stay positive i suppose.

RichardJW~

Post #24 by RichardJW~ » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:35 pm

GIZZY wrote:
RichardJW~ wrote:that could be a while, Steve.

Just got to stay positive i suppose.

definitely!....never let the bu99ers grind you down!

John Gaunt

Post #25 by John Gaunt » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:31 pm

[quote="RichardJWdefinitely!/]....never let the bu99ers grind you down![/quote]

That's about the only Latin I know, "Ni illigitimus carborundum"
Last edited by John Gaunt on Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Gaunt

Post #26 by John Gaunt » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:35 pm

RichardJW~ wrote:definitely!....never let the bu99ers grind you down!

That's the only Latin I know...."Ni illigitimus carborundum"... :lol: :lol:

(Sorry about previous post, just learning how the 'Quote' option works. :oops:

ronnie

Post #27 by ronnie » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:32 am

Broken Piston wrote:Hello Steve. I worked as a fitter in Australia for 15 months back in 2001-2002. I was lucky that the company I was with sorted all the paper work before I went. Had a great time but I found the heat a bit uncomfortable at times. At that time there was plenty of jobs for overseas fitters and plant operators. I know someone who went out to western Oz just a few weeks back. He just got a job as an operator on an excavator. He tells me the jobs are not so plentiful as they used to be. The global downturn is to blame. America might be a bit more difficult to find work as an operator with strong unions and what not.And remember to get the best medical insurance you can find to cover anything that may happen when overseas.
hi guy's i'm new to the forum and was reading this post work for operators here in the so called good old usa is tight and not payimg worth a darn i been a heavy equipment operator for over 20 yrs. now never really had a hard time finding a job(non-union) but these days they want you to work for nothin and the unions have a list a mile long before you would ever get called i live in western north carolina and travel 2 hrs. 1 way and stay away from my family all week just to feed them i find myself wanting to leave the us and go abroad but don't know hao to even start(would love to see scotland)i just thought i would add my 2 cents on america :)

RichardJW~

Post #28 by RichardJW~ » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:41 am

An Ozzy friend of mine was just saying that he thought the job prospects were good down under....his words, not mine....better paid than mechanics.

From what Ronnie is saying it would be best to go the whole hog and work in a mine on a monthly shift pattern, at least you'll be living on-site, there'd be no distractions from night-life etc.
Last edited by RichardJW~ on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

ronnie

Post #29 by ronnie » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:49 am

i been on heavy equipment for over 20 yrs i would jump at the chance to go overseas and work down under or in the uk in a mine just to get away from here they have weht as far as to cut or pay after being with the company i'm with for 9 yrs. and right now with things the way they are here you can take it or go hungrythere are unions here but you get put on the bottom of the list and still again you go hungry but wit hthe union you have to pay to go hungry

si25

Post #30 by si25 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:19 am

thats real good to hear the real deal from someone accross the pond, i'm currently waiting to get rid of my house to emmigrate over to the north west cost, US, i have to wait to sell my house as it's currently not worth squat. fortunately i have limited family over there. i'm not saying my ticket in will be straight forward but every little helps. for the ticket i'll be looking to being a fitter over there. not sure if there is much demand for us? and how the down turn has killed employment opportunities?
"toy soldier"

Return to “Off Topic”