TANK ENGINE

Talk about everything else here.

Topic author
martyn williams

TANK ENGINE

Post #1 by martyn williams » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:28 am

I was sent this picture the other day.Its of a little tank engine that got me interested in engineering many years ago.
This loco was used to shunt coal waste wagon at Mountain ash.the Wagons were unloaded by two 22RB's and a 19 RB fitted with grabs owned by Short Bros Aberdare.There were also a couple of Cat D6's at work there
The loco was built in the 1920's and used up until 1976.I had a ride on it in the 1960's thanks to my grandad who new the driver.This engine is now thankfully in preservation.
Thanks to this little engine my interest in cranes,plant and railways started.
Just wondered how CMN members got hooked on plant?
Martyn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hugh Jaleak
Flag: Great Britain

Re: TANK ENGINE

Post #2 by Hugh Jaleak » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:20 pm

My interest in plant came about I think partly because my father was B.C.O. for the local authority when I was small, but mainly from the size of the excavation at the bottom of our road!

To facilitate major development at the south end of the town, and alleviate flooding in the town, the existing drainage needed major overhaul. The stream that runs from south to north through the town takes 99% of the surface run-off from the town, the existing victorian brick culvert couldnt cope so a new concrete box culvert was being installed, with a new foul sewer alongside. Even at south end this culvert is probably big enough to drive a car through, it changes to twin boxes before emerging at north end.

The excavation must have been considerable, combining width and distance, but to a toddler it was immense! Contractor was A. Lilley from Wellingborough, they had several Priestman's, a Cat 943, and some JCB 3C's, with either RB or NCK cranes to lift the box culvert sections.

1979 with me now coming up to 8, Kimbell Construction moved in for phase 2. Poclain rubber duck with a friendly driver sealed it for me! Been completely hooked ever since....

Return to “Off Topic”