Adblue - what's the point?

Talk about everything else here.

Topic author
hair bear
Flag: Great Britain

Adblue - what's the point?

Post #1 by hair bear » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:12 pm

Ok, I get the 'user end' chemistry and the supposed effect on emissions etc., but by the time the ingredients have been sourced, refined, transported to the factory, processed, stored, dispached, decanted, delivered to forecourts and you drive to a forecourt to get some, I can't believe the gallon can of the stuff you put in your vehicle will ever recoup the emissions created in making it. And that's not including the same set of processes used in producing the millions of non bio-degradable single use plastic cans to sell it in. Every part of every process will use fossil fuel somewhere, and the urea comes from animals producing methane. Add to that the engine will run perfectly well without it (just the brains of the thing programmed not to allow it) brings me back to my question. What's the point?

Rant over... :D
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

essexpete

Re: Adblue - what's the point?

Post #2 by essexpete » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:53 am

I am not clever enough to understand all the ins and outs but the adblue is to reduce N20 emissions which is a nasty-for-health by product of the diesel engine. I would guess you are right in terms of CO2 production and use of further fossil fuel in order to get the adblue to the vehicle tank.

essexpete

Re: Adblue - what's the point?

Post #3 by essexpete » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:27 am

https://thefarmingforum.co.uk/index.php ... al.354646/

This highlights some of the anomalies in the green crusade.

Return to “Off Topic”