Triumph Alternator Drive Shaft Replacement

Talk about everything else here.

Gégé78
Flag: France

Re: Triumph Alternator Drive Shaft Replacement

Post #11 by Gégé78 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:15 pm

Hello Jeremy
I too had a problem with the schaft alternator but I removed the engine from the chassis, too bad I did not see your topic before disassembling my engine.
It is very interesting and well documented well done for this work, my English is not perfect I use Google translate

thank you so much

Gerard

Ps: I do not understand the picture 17 with the swing gear shift with intermediate gear :dizzy:

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #12 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:43 pm

Gégé78 wrote:Hello Jeremy
I too had a problem with the schaft alternator but I removed the engine from the chassis, too bad I did not see your topic before disassembling my engine.
It is very interesting and well documented well done for this work, my English is not perfect I use Google translate

thank you so much

Gerard

Ps: I do not understand the picture 17 with the swing gear shift with intermediate gear :dizzy:

Bonjour Gerard :wave:

Photo 17 was just showing the three gears in the correct place before refitting the clutch basket; this is the second time that I have done this job as I did the same repair on the first Triumph Trident that I owned. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Beachcomber
Flag: Sweden

Post #13 by Beachcomber » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:31 pm

Thank you, Jeremy.
This is very, very helpful!
I just don't agree with those 3 mm each washers for the bolt and nut at the drive. It's seems like an overkill remedy, especially with the high torque of 40 Nm recommended. Drew a nut and can't find a class 12. nut with 1 mm tread in Sweden so I had to buy a whole new set.
Later on I've heard Nm drag of 25, 30, 35 so it's confusing even with Triumph Service Manual.
I hope the clutch basket nut works smoothly on at 105 Nm.
Cheers!

Matchless?58
Flag: Great Britain

Post #14 by Matchless?58 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:13 pm

I do really like the look of the trident and have been considering getting one for a while now . At least I know what to look for when viewing a potential bike now . They are a lot of motorcycle for a reasonable amount of money and I want something reliable that I can just drag out of the garage and go . I have seen a few mega cheap ones now I know why they are cheap ! Probably got the same problem as yours . However didn't seem too scary to do and not that expensive to rectify so might be worth a punt . I've got a few old bikes and you usually have to deal with 50 years of bodging by PO s before you can actually fix any problems . Frustrating at times but rewarding when you manage to crack a problem . Happy motorcycling .

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #15 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:53 pm

Matchless?58 wrote:I do really like the look of the trident and have been considering getting one for a while now . At least I know what to look for when viewing a potential bike now . They are a lot of motorcycle for a reasonable amount of money and I want something reliable that I can just drag out of the garage and go . I have seen a few mega cheap ones now I know why they are cheap ! Probably got the same problem as yours . However didn't seem too scary to do and not that expensive to rectify so might be worth a punt . I've got a few old bikes and you usually have to deal with 50 years of bodging by PO s before you can actually fix any problems . Frustrating at times but rewarding when you manage to crack a problem . Happy motorcycling .

Arghh Chris you could have had mine I only sold it a few months back, sadly she was sat in the garage, taxed, insured and MOT'd but I hardly got to ride it and found last year I had only done MOT mileage so I put it up for sale and had many calls, she sold no problem.
They are a very good motorcycle but very heavy, and compared to many modern bikes they would not live with many quicker smaller CC machines but have lots of low down grunt, are generally 'bullet proof' and all I can say is that I liked the two that I owned, they get the thumbs up from me. :thumbup:

Christer good luck with your bike :thumbup: post a couple of photos they are always appreciated and glad I could help somebody else. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Matchless?58
Flag: Great Britain

Post #16 by Matchless?58 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:17 am

Sods law they call that !!!!

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #17 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:05 pm

Matchless?58 wrote:Sods law they call that !!!!

Never mind daft thing is it had crossed my mind to put it on here, I don't know why I didn't :doh:

Jeremy

Return to “Off Topic”