Earthmovers magazine

Talk about everything else here.

Mike d550

Re: Earthmovers magazine

Post #11 by Mike d550 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:55 pm

Seems as though there is a theme going here, and one which i would like to add my two pennys worth.

I, like Argie decided to try and make some money out of my hobby of photographing earthmoving equipment and contacted earthmovers magazine to see if this was possible and how to start out! I got an email back from the editor saying i could call him which i did (after about 20 attempts to get through to said editor). I agreed to email a few photos through to see if i had what it takes to get an article in earthmovers magazine and got a reply that the photos were scanned and earthmovers wanted digital images!!!! The point was totally missed and i re emailed said editor to explain this to which i got no reply!

If only digi photos are required how do they print all the photos that were taken before the age of digital photography or on 35mm film?

I would very much like to have an article published in earthmover magazine but am doubtful it will ever happen!!!!!!

S**t happens.
Last edited by Mike d550 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neil D
Flag: Great Britain

Post #12 by Neil D » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:59 pm

Its nice to have a magazine like Earthmovers but I do not like the interference from desk jockeys like Graham Black trying to influence the rest of us just because he has been sucked in by Cat. Komatsu et all!!! I am thinking here of the concerted campaign at one stage trying to get us all buying the zero tailswing machines with the crap about health and safety with constant plugs towards Cat. Could it be the big advertising campaign and cheque from Cat had anything to do with this???? Also the constant sniping at machines looking for health and safety issues is uncalled for-we do not need them to act as H&S advisors, there are already eneough jobsworths for that!

Another thing about Earthmovers they feature these contractors from southern ireland portreying a land of milk and honey with big rates etc-the truth is a lot more different with idiots working at really stupid rates. It was announced earlier this week that Howleys from Cork had went bust,I am not surprized, they recently did a site strip for 77 cents(55p) a cube diesel and operator supplied. They featured another contractor who when asked about the depressed housing market told them he had moved more into the roads jobs-what he didn't say was that he more than likely was dropping his rates to get all of his machines on at the expense of some other poor unfortunate.

Sorry if I sound cynical but there has been one poor soul who apparently committed suicide recently because of the recession.

Thats all for now before I get real mad

Neil

nick lamb

Post #13 by nick lamb » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:17 pm

Hi Neil.How's it going over there?
Still going deacent at my end allthough I am expecting a severe downturn.As for when,I don't know.
I have decided to take advantage of the cheap waggons at the moment and have bought another even though it will probably sit in the yard.It's only 4K.should be £6500 so it's a good deal.I feel sorry for the company who's selling it.D8's ready now and will probably join the D5 in the pit(they've hit a seam of coal!)Is the D9 off hire yet?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

XS650

Post #14 by XS650 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:14 pm

Interesting comments about 'Earthmovers' not paying for photos, that would annoy me greatly on principle. Often find if an outfit has no integrity in the little matters it has none in the larger .
I went off 'Earthmovers' because it seemed to concentrate on Quarry Plant and Southern Ireland.
Classic Plant much more interesting to me but I used to find the Buyers Guide irksome. It was always on modern kit for some reason and given by a main dealer in that marque.So after a 3 page euology as to how good say A Cat 966 loader was by Finning you would find that the things to watch for out would be tyre wear ! Much more interesting would be a buyers guide too kit like old 3Cs by an independent used dealer.
Not all those who wander are lost.

martyn williams

Post #15 by martyn williams » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:26 pm

Had a good chat with the editor of Classic plant mag today,He said he visited a scrap yard in the midlands where they use a large Hymac with a flyjib bolted to the boom.There will be an article on machinery websites soon.He has been swamped with photos of machinery.Any comments about the mag will be passed on to him,he wants to continue improving the mag,but can only be done with suggestions from readers.
Martyn

Martyn Henley

Post #16 by Martyn Henley » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:44 am

I would like to say that i cannot comment on past comments posted on here, however, i have to say it is good to have a magazine such as Earthmover's on display at local newsagents, in my day there was only Construction news and contract journal, and you had to order them, in the 60's construction news always had a pullout out full size sales poster from JCB, any one remember them? i do wish that i had saved all of mine :cry:
There was a magazine that was published in the 70's, and that was The Muck Shifter, but it did not last long for some reason, perhaps lack of intrest....
But back to Earthmover's, the only reason why i do not buy it is that i was fed up with the coverage that companies in Ireland got ..yes it was biased for certain manufacturers, but they did fiancé the mag and thats what it is all about.
Classic plant is good, but why oh why do they waste 3 to 4 pages on new plant :dizzy:

Martyn

martyn williams

Post #17 by martyn williams » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:46 pm

I think Classic plant should mean Classic plant.But Peter Simpson has said that readers want to read about new plant as well.
Martyn

Return to “Off Topic”