Norscot, worth the money?

Discuss earthmoving models here

Topic author
niner

Norscot, worth the money?

Post #1 by niner » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:15 pm

Some of the Norscot stuff is getting a bit thin on the ground now, there are a couple of pieces I am after one of them being the CAT 993K wheel loader. I can get one on ebay for £99 posted but is it worth that? I have read a few reviews and the feedback is not that good with the finish and inconsistancies compared to the real thing.

http://www.cranesetc.co.uk/library/norscotreviews/55229/55229review.htm

I believe the new stuff being released like the 740 ejector ADT is pretty costly for the detail and quality. I bought the 994F wheel loader a while back and I though it was the mutts nuts until I bought the TWH Le tourneau L1850 and sat it next to it, big difference in price I know but im sure people wouldnt mind paying a little more for the CAT if they put a bit more attention to detail into it.

It would be good to hear your thoughts too. Im trying to make my mind up with the 993K

Tracshovel
Flag: France

Re: Norscot, worth the money?

Post #2 by Tracshovel » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:11 pm

Save your money! ........... and buy some TWH or CCM :-) A lot of Norscot is over priced crap, even the avid sandbox contractors would put them off hire.

Topic author
niner

Post #3 by niner » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:24 pm

Im just after a nice modern CAT wheel loader for the collection but the 993 looks like a Friday afternoon model, half finished, it's a shame. :thumbdown:

Joes1989
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by Joes1989 » Tue May 01, 2012 6:01 am

A lot of the yanks complained about the 993 wheels syringe they looked to small and the tyres weren't right! Can kinda see where they are coming from in a way as they do look quite odd!!

martyn williams

Post #5 by martyn williams » Tue May 01, 2012 12:50 pm

A lot of Norscot models are not very good,first gear are better and good value for money.Some of the Norscot models have poor out of scale fine detail.NZG models make good money but lack detail quality, models these days are far better due to better tooling and production .
Martyn

Neil D

Post #6 by Neil D » Tue May 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Well, I have a few in my collection ,problem with Norscot is the inconsistency of quality plus they flood the market. If you want a particular model then you will buy it ie I have the 977 and a 966 in the historical series but they are a poor model compared to First Gear or the likes of the D10T or D11R from Norscot. I hope that a new contractor has been appointed to replace Norscot and that Cat for example take on board all our comments, not just from this forum but others as well.

Neil

cat365clme

Post #7 by cat365clme » Tue May 01, 2012 10:21 pm

I feel that norscot is over priced and under detailed when you compare it with the likes of wsi I would like to see wsi take on the cat brand of models in the future just my opinion

Topic author
niner

Post #8 by niner » Tue May 01, 2012 11:02 pm

cat365clme wrote:I feel that norscot is over priced and under detailed when you compare it with the likes of wsi I would like to see wsi take on the cat brand of models in the future just my opinion

I totally agree with you. In the right hands there would be some lovely CAT models on the market. :thumbup:

L.Kezz

Post #9 by L.Kezz » Wed May 02, 2012 12:26 pm

I was thinking of the 993K myself for christmas just gone, but the arm doesn't raise high enough to load a 777! It just manages it, the real thing I believe can also load a 785 but from what I've heard, the model can't reach no where near, I've seen the pics some where too on the internet. And like Joe has mentioned, the inside of the wheels make them look really strange...

Regards

L.Kezz
Cheers

L.Kezz

Topic author
niner

Post #10 by niner » Wed May 02, 2012 5:45 pm

The reach wont really bother me because I dont have the big trucks to pair it with. The tyres do look strange, why they have done that beats me :?

The bit that really bothers me is this, the missing front end!

Whats that all about? and why did CAT let it go to production like that?

Return to “Earthmoving models”