Custom R996

Discuss earthmoving models here

Topic author
jasonfisher

Custom R996

Post #1 by jasonfisher » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:59 pm

Alright folks,
As I mentioned in volvo 4 life's thread on the D11, I have started with the 996 again. I've started with the track frames, and have purchased an etched fret from RPFolwer (cheers) ladder and sun louvres from AT&C, the rest will be scratchbuilt. So far I've drilled out the slots around the sprocket guard, added the reinforcing plates on the track frames and I'm building the idler rock guards as I type this. I'll post some more pics later tonight or tomorrow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
jasonfisher

Re: Custom R996

Post #2 by jasonfisher » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:09 pm

this is where I'm at tonight, the etched plates are from the set and the beginning of the idler guard is sat in place but still to have the top section added
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Greasemonkey
Flag: Canada

Post #3 by Greasemonkey » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:02 am

Looks really good so far, please keep us posted!

Topic author
jasonfisher

Post #4 by jasonfisher » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:21 pm

Thanks Brian, will do.

Topic author
jasonfisher

Post #5 by jasonfisher » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:15 pm

little update tonight, this is where the rock guards are at, just been glued on so still to clean up the glue marks lol. I'll be priming them tomorrow to highlight any defects for filling/sanding. The access cover to the left of the guard is in the wrong place going on the reference pics I have so I filled it and will re scribe it

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Post #6 by Martyn Henley » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:33 pm

Hi Jason, thats coming along a treat :thumbup: may i ask what glue you are using ?

Martyn

Topic author
jasonfisher

Post #7 by jasonfisher » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:54 pm

Thanks Martyn, the guards are made form styrene sheet so I just use Humbrol poly cement (same s I use for my military aviation stuff) and used Araldite epoxy to glue that to the frames. For the etch I just used Loctite super glue

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Post #8 by Martyn Henley » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:05 pm

Have you thought about using Cyanoacrylat super glue ? all you have to do is just sand a bit of the painted metal work to ensure a good surface ..apply a tiny amount and place into position ... the glue works well on metal and there is no nasty bits to clean off .. i use it to glue everything on my models ..

Martyn

Topic author
jasonfisher

Post #9 by jasonfisher » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:15 pm

I usually do Martyn again on my aviation models, but sods law I've run out and haven't been back to the model shop yet so I just happened to have the Loctite to hand lol. Little update, the guards have been primed to show up any blemishes, but I've also noticed in my reference pics, there is a guiding guard in front of the first track roller which is missing so I'll build those tomorrow, pics to follow

Topic author
jasonfisher

Post #10 by jasonfisher » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:17 pm

Time for an update, the track frames are done, there is another guiding guard missing from the model so this was added in front of the leading track roller. Since I took these pics, the surface blemishes have been polished out, and the whole frame reprimed read for the dark grey. However, I'm not overly concerned about achieving a 100% "flat" finish on some parts of the frames as that will be dealt with after painting.......
DSCF3528.JPG

Return to “Earthmoving models”