Tonkin CAT 995G issues.

Discuss earthmoving models here

Topic author
niner

Tonkin CAT 995G issues.

Post #1 by niner » Sun May 11, 2014 12:06 pm

I though I would post this up here just as a heads up regarding the quality of the Tonkin CAT 995G dump truck. The one I have bought is in my opinion unsatisfactory and it's worth giving it a good look over if you buy one.

Theres a video below in the link showing the issues I have with mine.

No commentary because I hate the sound of my own voice!

In order- Dump body not staying up, bent rear axle, loose wobbly wheel and a wheel that is pretty stubborn. You can see it sticking when on the rolling test.

http://s144.photobucket.com/user/mammut_photos/media/001-3.mp4.html

In the photo below you can see that the wobbly wheel sits off camber.

Some of the pain finish is a bit shoddy and there is a lot of excessive glue on the mirror arms and its as if the model was boxed with the glue wet because the black cab was covered in a white stain, superglue fume residue.

It's the points in the video that I'm not happy with.

Dah
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Tonkin CAT 995G issues.

Post #2 by Dah » Sun May 11, 2014 3:46 pm

Pretty poor isn't it. What kind of price range are the Tonkin models - similar to Norscot?

Joes1989

Post #3 by Joes1989 » Sun May 11, 2014 4:15 pm

I was going to buy one of these to match to my zaxis 870 but after seeing your issues I'm not going to bother!
It's amazing that people complaining about norscots quality and now this happens!

Topic author
niner

Post #4 by niner » Sun May 11, 2014 4:52 pm

Dah wrote:Pretty poor isn't it. What kind of price range are the Tonkin models - similar to Norscot?

Pretty much yeah. People give Norscot a hard time however some of their models are pretty good quality. I have 3 Tonkin models now and I've had issues with 2 of them.

Topic author
niner

Post #5 by niner » Sun May 11, 2014 4:55 pm

Joes1989 wrote:I was going to buy one of these to match to my zaxis 870 but after seeing your issues I'm not going to bother!
It's amazing that people complaining about norscots quality and now this happens!

Joe, at £75 they're not cheap but if you can see past the fact some of the handrails are slightly bent and out of alignment and ignore some of the paint blemishes it's ok however I cant pass by the issues I have with mine. There are reports of others having the same problems too. Always worth getting a hands on one first or if you buy one ask them to check it over looking for the raised issues before they post.

Joes1989

Post #6 by Joes1989 » Sun May 11, 2014 6:22 pm

Im not will to take the risk mate! If I decide to get anything it will more than likely be the ta60 or what ever it's called! I just hope when they start making excavators and dozers they sort the issues out!

Dah

Post #7 by Dah » Sun May 11, 2014 7:30 pm

It's a shame isn't it because aside from the cost getting a new model is something to look forward to as an enthusiast and to be disappointed by real sloppy quality control isn't good.

Plamen1974
Flag: Bulgaria

Post #8 by Plamen1974 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:22 pm

Hi folks,
I've just received my CAT 775G, so I wish to share my impressions. The front wheels - Achilles heel of every dump truck is ok, not wobbly but not too stiff. Tires are not too shine as in my CAT 797F /yellow/ model. The white edition is with more mat. Body is OK, paint is crisp and shiny, stairs are plastic a little bit rough stairs which contrast with the thin metal handrails with similar thickness to larger trucks - I mean CAT 793F, Cat 797F, CAT 795F. The cylinders that raises the dump body are 2 stage which is much, much better than unsatisfactory dump angle of CAT 777D and CAT 772 by Norscot. There are smaller plastic mudflaps in front of the rear wheels and behind the front wheels. The radiator grill is from a solid metal block. The cabin interior is very good with nice windshield wiper.
Briefly said - very good small model, worth every euro cent.
I bought CAT MT 4400 by Tonkin too. I already have Terex MT 4400 by Brami. The original truck has nearly the same tipping angle /slightly more + - 1 degree/.The stairs are plastic and a little rough and body cylinders tends to bend but not much. When I touch them with my finger tip they stay in a straight position.

Topic author
niner

Post #9 by niner » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:39 pm

That's good to see you have had a good model. I may buy another on the next run but I will give it the once over before I pay out!

Plamen1974
Flag: Bulgaria

Post #10 by Plamen1974 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:44 am

I think buying of a model is pure luck. In my case I ordered last 3 models from the official Caterpillar dealer in Bulgaria and when they arrived I opened the boxes and took a look for defects. I had a problem with CAT 336 excavator /unbuckled track/ but they replaced with other model. Before I bought CAT MT 4400D AC and CAT 775G I looked at them very carefully because I read very bad reviews in the net.
About the different models made by one manufacturer.......For example I bought First Gear Komatsu 960E 1K - perfect model. When I bought Komatsu 960E -2K the version with round alternator the rubber on one of the front tyres was not circular and I have to stretch it slightly. After 1 day it took it usual position and now truck rolling is fine. I can't complain of the quality of the trucks. May be the model tyre were slightly malformed in the mold.
If we rely on the rating of the models - CAT 795F is rated as "highly recommended" with 77 points and Tonkin's CAT even doesn't reach "recommended" value and received only 63 points.
When I compare those two models which I already have I could share the following:
CAT 795F AC - left wheel - horribly wobble, two of the plastic rivets on the steering almost fell. I have the glue them very carefully.
Staircase is better quality than CAT MT 4400, handrails - similar thickness and quality.
Radiator grill is better quality in Tonkin's model. Alternator on the right side of the deck on CAT 795F is made of plastic. CAT MT 4400D AC alternator is plastic too, but with thin metal grid and visible black fan. The engine compartment on Tonkin model is very detailed too
Payload meters in Tonkin model are OK - showing figure of 244 short tons. On Norscot model there are no figures on the board.
Lift cylinders are the major problem in Tonkin model as I mentioned above but you can easily put in the right position. I hope that there no much models with "spliting" problems of the cylinders, mine doesn't have.
In my opinion CAT 795F AC must be rerated in cranes.etc as "recommended" and CAT MT 4400D AC put on the same level of quality - recomended or evaluate both of them as "highly recommended".

Good luck with CAT 775G. Write back for your impressions of the new "old" model.

Return to “Earthmoving models”