Komatsu G40 Bulldozer

Discuss earthmoving models here

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Komatsu G40 Bulldozer

Post #1 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:06 pm

Well like many other people of my age group my bro and I grew up making Airfix models and had many a happy hour doing so too.
But as I grew up the time and enthusiam faded and so the model making stopped for many years, my one regret however is that I failed to grab an AMT model of the Cat D8 bulldozer which is an awesome kit for those who have been fortunate enough to get their hands on one.
Anyway last Saturday I was in the Ian Allen bookshop in Brum which is also a model stockist and this new little kit immediately caught my eye. 8-)
Its a supposed to be the first bulldozer that was manufactured by Komatsu for the IJN and was based upon a Komatsu tractor built at that time.
Its really intended for an airfield diorama but would still make an excellent addition to any collection, anyway I thought I would not miss the boat this time and bought one.
The scale is 1/48th and its made by Tamiya so the quality is top notch, there are also a few metal etched parts with this kit the photographs give an idea of what you get for your cash.
All thats missing is glue, paint, time and effort. Whilst I will start on this kit soon it will not be completed in a hurry but I will post some pics when I've got it done.

Jeremy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Komatsu G40 Bulldozer

Post #2 by Martyn Henley » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:25 pm

Great find Jeremy :thumbup:

I used to make Tamiya tank models, donkeys year ago .... i wonder if they will do a 1/32nd scale one, or perhaps a Marine Corps Caterpillar ....

Martyn

Holger
Site Admin
Flag: Sweden

Post #3 by Holger » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:48 am

Tamiya is/was a wonderful make!
Loved those models!
And it is amazing how much effort they put in some included information and photos about the model.
Some resources:
How-To

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:45 pm

Well I have completed this kit now and it goes together very nicely too, but Tamiya are a good quality product so thats to be expected.
For any who would purchase one of these kits I would suggest fitting the decals at the stage of completion of the main dozer body before the blade and undercarriage are fitted as the decals are quite tricky and require a lot of patience (something for which I am not renown).
I have used and always favour enamel paint over the acrylic but many model makers do prefer the later.
Quite a nice kit to build if you have the time.

Jeremy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

martyn williams

Post #5 by martyn williams » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:23 pm

Will be looking for one on Ebay now Jeremy.
Martyn

Return to “Earthmoving models”