Clutch (?) problem

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
devondumper

Clutch (?) problem

Post #1 by devondumper » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:12 pm

So I've got this old dumper, which I'm pretty sure is a Muir-Hill/Winget 5ST (Petter PH2), and because it's a pig to start I haven't used it for a few months. Today, having got it started using all known tricks, it first wouldn't go into gear and then, when it did, it initially moved forwards and then I lost forward gears bar one (first I think), and that gear plus reverse creep a little and then stop completely whatever the engine speed and with the clutch fully released. This suggests to me a clutch problem but it seems a little sudden since there was no real evidence of slippage the last time I used it. Is this sort of thing a known problem with old dumpers; could the clutch be sticking perhaps? If so, can it be released? It I have to replace the clutch is this an easy thing to do or do I have to substantially dismantle the drive train to replace it?

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Thank you.

mechman
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Clutch (?) problem

Post #2 by mechman » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:01 pm

HI clive
I reckon its clutch problem unless you had gear probs before
Ive got PH2 in my winget and thats not as good as as a swine to start its neary impossible.
Been told off an old hand to decoke it as carbon can build up to much compression :|

essexpete

Post #3 by essexpete » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:21 pm

The clutch plate can stick to the flywheel when parked up for a long time giving the first lot of symptoms. The second sounds like slippage due to wear but if it was sudden perhaps the cover plate or friction plate damaged in freeing off? I don't know if it is harmful or not but I wedge out the pedal on our old Thwaites because I got p3ssed off freeing it every time it had stood.

Reading again how did you eventually get it into gear?

Topic author
devondumper

Post #4 by devondumper » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:39 am

To get it into gear to start with I depressed the clutch pedal a few times and then just pushed it into one of the gears (having tried a few at a random).

Having looked at the parts diagram it seems, like most clutches, if working properly it has to be engaged when the pedal is released, with "stickiness" only happening as the plates stick together, that it is, it can't really stick in the disengaged position. Or is that incorrect?

essexpete

Post #5 by essexpete » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:53 am

The clutch can stick especially if parked for some time and possibly after use on a damp day when moisture get drawn into a housing as everything cools down. The driven plate can stick to the flywheel surface. I have found it necessary to give some quite aggressive treatment involving towing, brakes and clutch pedal.

Topic author
devondumper

Post #6 by devondumper » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:07 am

I expect that is why it stuck in the first place meaning I couldn't get it into gear. But now it's just not transferring any (or only a tiny bit of) power.

Topic author
devondumper

Post #7 by devondumper » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:38 am

Not yet fixed, but want to relate to an amazing bit of service from Winget: sent an email last night to the service dept asking if they could suggest how the clutch assembly is removed. Got an email back the same night from one of the managing directors giving me detailed disassembly and reassembly instructions! (Broadly, separate the bell housing and gear box from the engine after disconnecting the propshaft, and then it's much like any other clutch).

Return to “Dumpers”