Thwaites 7000 rear axle problem

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
Tomf

Thwaites 7000 rear axle problem

Post #1 by Tomf » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:35 pm

Hello all.
This is my first post and I hope someone can give me some advice please.
I have an oldish thwaites 7000 and yesterday it started making a groaning noise and the offside rear wheel locked up , I have disconnected the short prop shaft from the transfer box to the rear axle and the near side wheel turns freely when jacked up but the near side is solid . I am guessing it could be a bearing that's the problem . Anyone come across this before?
Many thanks, Tom

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Thwaites 7000 rear axle problem

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:50 pm

Hi Tom and welcome :wave: while I am no dumper expert what I would say is that if one wheel is locked and the other turns freely and there is no brake that can bind the wheel that has seized then it is most likely that there is a wheel bearing problem. Remove the half shaft first (assuming that you can do that) if the wheel is still solid then you have solved your problem. Other CMN members will have experience of these machines as opposed to my mechanical experience so they may be able to offer you some better guidance. :thumbup:

Jeremy

essexpete

Post #3 by essexpete » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:59 pm

Is the rear axle braked? (I ask because our old 2t 4000 is only braked on the front)

Topic author
Tomf

Post #4 by Tomf » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:38 am

Thanks for the replies guys, from what I can see the front axle is the only one that has brakes.
Does anyone have any tips for getting the half shaft out please . Cheers

essexpete

Post #5 by essexpete » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:56 am

It might help if you can clarify the type axle, there are probably folk here that can help. Is it the older style diff with thin tubes to outboard end or the more modern style with fat trumpets coming off the centre housing? Has the front axle got inboard oil immersed disc brakes?
It does sound like the others have posted that a bearing could have collapsed somewhere.

Topic author
Tomf

Post #6 by Tomf » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:33 am

Hi again,

I think it has the trumpet type rear axle and it does have inboard oil immersed disc brakes on the front.

I managed to remove the half shaft from the offending side today and the hub freed up immediately , so I am now thinking it could be more serious, diff maybe ?. Anyone know a breaker who may have a complete axle?

Thanks again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

essexpete

Post #7 by essexpete » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:05 pm

I was wondering if there is any reduction gear in your axle? If there is there could be a problem there or the diff.

I don't know enough about but it does not look like the centre housing is large enough to house reduction gear.

Topic author
Tomf

Post #8 by Tomf » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:06 pm

Hello again , just an update I stripped the axle down and it was the sun shaft , planetary gears & ring that were all smashed up , got it all back together now and it's as good as new. Only problem now is because I steam cleaned it all before I worked on it the clutch is stuck :arrrrgh:
Anyone got any ideas how to free it up ?
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nigelbread

Post #9 by nigelbread » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:41 pm

have you released the clutch?

Topic author
Tomf

Post #10 by Tomf » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:23 pm

Finally managed to free the clutch :D

It took about 2 hours of just driving around a field with a small ratchet strap holding the clutch pedal down .Starting in 3rd gear accelerating, breaking, turning etc etc and finally she just broke free. And the axle seems to be fine now.

Many thanks again for all your replies.

P.S if she is parked up for long periods is it worth holding the clutch pedal down to stop this happening again or would doing this weaken the springs on the clutch release bearing ?

Return to “Dumpers”