thwaites brake drum clutch

Discuss dumpers here

Cheekymonkey
Flag: Great Britain

Re: thwaites brake drum clutch

Post #11 by Cheekymonkey » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:32 am

Hi guys, this seemed the most relevant thread to ask a question on my Thwaites Nimbus.

I also have a bit of clutch slip, have tightened up & improved a little, I think i need to loose some play in the linkage to improve further too. However whilst playing I wondered what this thing is as it's shot to bits. Is it the release bearing? It's rusted out inside & loose. Also is the fork that presses on it mean to have some kind of friction material on it? Any links to replacements if required appreciated along with any fitting tips please...

Original URL: http://content.screencast.com/users/peteholliday/folders/Jing/media/a8a91cbf-12fb-4fcf-ba01-1960ec2f2034/2017-01-04_0746.png

Thanks Pete.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #12 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:45 am

Pete; while I have not seen a clutch like this before I'd guess that it sounds like its pretty shot? Can you get the bits okay? If not there must be a standard bearing that will fit the release bearing and the friction plate can be relined with new friction material.

Jeremy

essexpete

Post #13 by essexpete » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:56 pm

That is your clutch release bearing. The mech from the pedal is stationary and the whole clutch drum is spinning with the engine running. so the bearing is critical for smooth clutch operation. New bearing from somewhere I guess and make sure the clutch T lever is not rubbing on the new bearing continuously. I would doubt the clutch T or fork would have hardened material, just the bearing face.

Cheekymonkey

Post #14 by Cheekymonkey » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:31 pm

essexpete wrote:That is your clutch release bearing. The mech from the pedal is stationary and the whole clutch drum is spinning with the engine running. so the bearing is critical for smooth clutch operation. New bearing from somewhere I guess and make sure the clutch T lever is not rubbing on the new bearing continuously. I would doubt the clutch T or fork would have hardened material, just the bearing face.

Thanks essexpete. Cool at least I was down the right lines... I found this http://www.lsengineers.co.uk/clutch-release-bearing-for-thwaites-benford-winget-dumpers.html but it doesn't look quite the same & no idea how to get the old one off / fit new one.

essexpete

Post #15 by essexpete » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:30 am

Can't remember it must be over 35 years ago I messed about with our old Nimbus. (learnt to drive on it) The release bearing you have found is for (I would think) the later conventional type clutch. I have a feeling the old Nimbus release bearing was just pressed on to the shaft. Actuation would not pull it off if you see what I mean. Put clutch release bearing into an ebay search and see what you can find. You need to remove the old one and measure the fitting size. I expect the bearing was used somewhere else in the motor industry in that era.

Cheekymonkey

Post #16 by Cheekymonkey » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:50 am

Thanks. I'll try get it off and go from there.

I learnt to drive on one too but only 28 years ago haha. That's why I nostalgicly bought this model

essexpete

Post #17 by essexpete » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:13 pm

Cheekymonkey wrote:Thanks. I'll try get it off and go from there.

I learnt to drive on one too but only 28 years ago haha. That's why I nostalgicly bought this model

35 years ago that I last tinkered but over 40 years for first drive. Oh bloody 'ell :D

Jeremy Rowland

Post #18 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:30 am

essexpete wrote:
Cheekymonkey wrote:Thanks. I'll try get it off and go from there.

35 years ago that I last tinkered but over 40 years for first drive. Oh bloody 'ell :D

Good memories though and that's all that matters! :thumbup:

Jeremy

xpuser8334

Post #19 by xpuser8334 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:55 pm

Guys, I know this is an old thread that keeps getting resurrected - but.
I have to take the clutch drum off the gearbox to change the seal and bearing.
Do i take the nuts off the studs that surround the clutch return spring? if so.. I wi;l have to split the nuts, because the studs are spinning :-(
If someone DOES have a service manual for the clutch and the CM Newage gearbox (Thwaites Orion) - I would be grateful.

Thanks Guys.

Dirt!croston

Post #20 by Dirt!croston » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:01 pm

no, just the hinge bolt on the release fork and it all slides off, watch for the key.

Return to “Dumpers”