thwaites 2 ton restoration

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
joefen
Flag: Great Britain

thwaites 2 ton restoration

Post #1 by joefen » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:03 am

Hi all I've just joined , based in the fens , recently aquired a thwaites 2 ton arctic steer ,petter ph2 hand crank ,abandened on a farm , the engine seemed ok , decompression levers seized , one wheel missing which im looking for ,on attempting to start the engine , after investigating first inj pump spring was broken ,hence no diesel to injector, purchased a petter ph2 complete engine locally , replaced faulty pump , serviced the engine , but it will only fire on easy start , do I attempt to rebuild due to lack of compression or replace whole lump ,
Last edited by joefen on Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

martyn williams

Re: thwaites 2 ton restoration

Post #2 by martyn williams » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:02 pm

Give the engine a decoke and lap in the valves, when the heads are removed its not much more work to re ring the engine,The result should be an easier engine to start and more powerfull engine.It also may be worth doing a spill timing check on the pumps
Good luck with the project
Martyn

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #3 by FOWLER MAN » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:14 pm

Hello Joe,
Do you mean your engine will only run on easystart or that it will only start on easy start :?: :?:
I guess you have set the rack on the pumps in the excess fuel starting position. :thumbup:
If lack of compression is your problem it's possible that the bores have dried out, thats very likely if its stood a long time. Before going to the trouble of a strip down try introducing some engine oil into the bores.
Thats easily done by removing the rocker covers, you'l see an open breather tube into the inlet manifold on each head . Give each a liberal few pumps from an oil can and try starting again.
I have known engines that have dried out to settle down after being run for a while.
Fred

Topic author
joefen
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by joefen » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:44 am

hi and thanks for the info much appreciated, normally my machines are quite a bit younger, but im enjoying restoring this machine, luckilly i was able to buy a complete ph2 engine so any spares i need hopefully they will just fit , this ph2 in the dumper had been sitting for 5 years before i bought it, so even getting it to run attall is a bonus, it does like a sniff of easy start though , but as i say ive serviced it , filters and oil change and dropped hyd oil and renewed that , but im struggling to find a replacement missing wheel , tyre size is 11.5 /80 -15.3 6 stud , cant decide if its a 4000 or a 6000 thwaites

essexpete

Post #5 by essexpete » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:57 pm

By the wheel size I would guess it is bigger than a 4000.

Return to “Dumpers”