Thwaites Orion dumper axle oil seal

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
Andyinfrance
Flag: Great Britain

Thwaites Orion dumper axle oil seal

Post #1 by Andyinfrance » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:23 pm

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and hopefully you can help me. Earlier this year I managed to purchase a thwaites Orion dumper a bit rough around the edges, anyway clutch packed in the other day which I managed to strip down and fix, but does need a new set of shoes, (i believe the clutch is based upon Triumph Herald brake drum?) While on my back I noticed the front left hand wheel leaking axle oil so looks like I need to replace the seal. The trouble is I'm not sure where I can buy a new oil seal and a set of brake shoes any help or advice on replacing these items would be appreciated.

essexpete

Re: Thwaites Orion dumper axle oil seal

Post #2 by essexpete » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:46 pm

If you can extract the seal without smashing up entirely one of the bearing/seal independents would likely match it. Perhaps the brake shoes could be relined??

Topic author
Andyinfrance
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Thwaites Orion dumper axle oil seal

Post #3 by Andyinfrance » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:56 pm

Hi essexpete, I have been doing some investigation and found out that the diff is a Salisbury axle similar used on a land rover 90. Looks like quite a job to get the hub off to access the seal but needs doing. Also found the clutch set up and it is a triumph herald rear brake drum, set of shoes from Rimmer for £15 so not too bad.
Thanks
Andy

Return to “Dumpers”