Front Axle iisues

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
wyrmat1

Front Axle iisues

Post #1 by wyrmat1 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:46 am

Hi, newby here, i have a Thwaites 2 tonne with a 3 cyl lister diesel electric start, frony axle handbrake with the two levers one on ech side of the prop shaft fitting and 16 inch rim tyres (wouldn't it help if the plated the dumpers). The front axle is tight and it seems the brakes are fastened on, i have stripped off tyhe handbrake and diff cover to have a look but cannot see anything and now i cannot get the cover back on as it seems the hand brake levers are not entering the correct position.
Any help welcome especially if a diagram was available showing exploded view of front axle so i coulsd tackle the job with some knowledge rather than blind as it is at present

essexpete

Re: Front Axle iisues

Post #2 by essexpete » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:52 pm

Sounds like you might have a 3ton if it is a 3cyl (unless they fitted 3s later on) Our old 2t has hyd front brakes only with the handbrake acting on the same brakes with levers as you describe. The main fault for brakes binding has actually been the handbrake cable not free.

Gerard

Re: Front Axle iisues

Post #3 by Gerard » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:01 pm

Are the two handbrake levers free enough? on the axle as they tend to sieze up? just a thought

Return to “Dumpers”