Thwaites Nimbus or orion

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
JulianG

Thwaites Nimbus or orion

Post #1 by JulianG » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:01 pm

Hi

New to this so sorry if my terminology is not accurate.

I think I have an Thwaites Nimbus or orion which I have had for about five years It has a Lister single cylinder connected via a chain drive to a drum clutch then to what looks like a series one land rover box ?

First question - My clutch has started to slip so I need to replace / refurbish the unit. It looks like an old mini drum assembly with a thrust bearing at the rear how do you get it off the shaft where do I get the new bits ? Has anybody got a manual for my beast.

I have adjusted the clutch over the years and am presuming I am at the end of the adjustment ?

I also have I think a 60s mini digger Powerfab 180 and a Old tri gang Jacobsen mower + 26 cylinder mower circa 1960 Glutton for punishment.......

Much appreciate any help or assistance

Kinds regards
Julian

Mre Pics - do I replace the clutch shoes ? Its a petter PH1 is that good - how old is she ??

Thanks for the advice.

JulianG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JulianG on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Julian

Re: Thwaites Nimbus or orion

Post #2 by Julian » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:50 am

I don't think it's Orion or Nimbus as the engine appears to be on the wrong side, it looks a bit more modern perhaps with that engine cover?

Is it Lister or Petter engined?

The clutch is a Triumph Herald brake drum on mine. (so I've been told but never been able to confirm) Best bet for spare shoes would probably be a motor factors with an old catalogue with shoe profiles to compare. The thrust bearing will be difficult as 'simplybearings' said they found the last one in the country for me a few years ago ;-(

Stripping the clutch is easy, you need to unscrew the 'nipple' off the expander link and then the spring, et al, will come off. (with a big bang if you don't rig up some restraint) It then just becomes pretty obvious what to do as there's nothing complex!

The gearbox on mine is three speed non constant mesh so is deffo not Landrover. What's yours like, with a LR you'll be looking at a 4 speed constant mesh with synchro on top two gears and exposed selector rods..... (more pictures?)

Julian.
Last edited by Julian on Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Julian

Post #3 by Julian » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:51 am

I don't think it's Orion or Nimbus as the engine appears to be on the wrong side, it looks a bit more modern perhaps with that engine cover?

Is it Lister or Petter engined?

The clutch is a Triumph Herald brake drum on mine. (so I've been told but never been able to confirem) Best bet for spare shoes would probably be a motor factors with an old catalogue with shoe profiles to compare. The thrust bearing will be difficult as 'simplybearings' said they found the last one in the country for me a few years ago ;-(

Stripping the clutch is easy, you need to unscrew the 'nipple' off the expander link and then the spring, et al, will come off. (with a big bang if you don't rig up some restraint) It then just becomes pretty obvious what to do as there's nothing complex!

The gearbox on mine is three speed non constant mesh so is deffo not Landrover. What's yours like, with a LR you'll be looking at a 4 speed constant mesh with synchro on top two gears and exposed selector rods..... (more pictures?)

Julian.

essexpete

Post #4 by essexpete » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:52 am

It does look like a Nimbus layout LH drive, 3 stud rears and skip. It must be more modern/modified from the ones I have seen. They usually have a closed in rear end as well.

Return to “Dumpers”