Thwaites dumper

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
wispa

Thwaites dumper

Post #1 by wispa » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:16 am

Can anyone tell me how to get the starting dog off of the shaft. Is it screwed on. Ive taken the bolt out but cant seem to get it to move. I was hoping it would just pull off but nothing is ever as easy as that and as i dint want to damage it id thought id ask.
cheers
Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Julian

Re: Thwaites dumper

Post #2 by Julian » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:11 am

Dare I ask why you want to take it off?

It looks to me like you just loosen the grub screw and pull it off. It will be tight due to rust so a small two or three leg puller will likely be required, or maybe a bit of heat....

Julian.

Topic author
wispa

Post #3 by wispa » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:49 pm

Thanks julian thats what i thought but even with heat i cant get it to budge. I want to remove it so my old man can take it into work to turn the end of the handle. I was just trying to make it easier for him to get exact measurements.
cheers

Julian

Post #4 by Julian » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:25 pm

wispa wrote:Thanks julian thats what i thought but even with heat i cant get it to budge. I want to remove it so my old man can take it into work to turn the end of the handle. I was just trying to make it easier for him to get exact measurements.
cheers

Is it a long handle that's supported at the outer end? (by the tin work of the dumper in the case of my Thwaites Orion) If so then don't machine the handle ''exact.'' It needs to be a fairly loose fit between the nose and the dog, the last thing you want is for it to bind up in the dog and not release cleanly after the engine's started!

Julian.

garry

Post #5 by garry » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:07 pm

very simple to do to make another starting handle get some steel shaft to go inside the boss then drill a hole in line of the two lugs
about ten mill hole weld it in job finished

Mattj 345
Flag: Wales

Post #6 by Mattj 345 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:19 pm

I've made a starting handle for our thwaites orion I've still got to do some fettling when I'm next working on it hopefully it should do the job, the steering mechanism is siezed up gearbox stuck in gear that will be fun and free the drum clutch up

essexpete

Post #7 by essexpete » Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:46 pm

You might be lucky by taking off the top of the gearbox and finding the selector mech has jammed or come out. The main problem for both gearbox and steering box is often water ingress.

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #8 by cobbadog » Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:18 am

Also it is an easy thing to remove the top from the gearbox and then if the selector fork looks ok then use a long screw driver to try and move the part the selector fits into. It should be a simple fix
Cheers Cobba

Mattj 345
Flag: Wales

Post #9 by Mattj 345 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:12 pm

Thanks cobba and Essexpete I'll give it a go when I'm next working on the dumper, I've made a bracket and modified the throttle rod to bring it back to idle and a rod that comes off that one for almost like a hand throttle and stop mechanism

Return to “Dumpers”