George Fowell OR Fowler Dumpers

Discuss dumpers here

essexpete

Re: George Fowell OR Fowler Dumpers

Post #91 by essexpete » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:06 pm

E83Wvince wrote:Hi
Fred answered a post I made a while ago since then I was struck down with the big C hopefully on the mend now it was to do with the brake mechanism I have a Fowell A type dumper and mine is missing has anyone got any pics of the handbrake setup.
ps anyone know what the torque settings for the head is on a Lister Petter ava1
Many thanks Vince

Sorry to hear that. Hope you are well on the mend.

essexpete

Post #92 by essexpete » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:07 pm

Did anyone spot the high lift Weatherill 2H :D

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #93 by FOWLER MAN » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:15 pm

E83Wvince wrote:Hi
Fred answered a post I made a while ago since then I was struck down with the big C hopefully on the mend now it was to do with the brake mechanism I have a Fowell A type dumper and mine is missing has anyone got any pics of the handbrake setup.
ps anyone know what the torque settings for the head is on a Lister Petter AVA1.
Many thanks Vince

Hi Vince,
Sorry to hear that you have been down with the virus, but glad to hear you are on the mend. A lad that used to work for me was not so lucky it beat him, he was only 53.

The tightening torque for the AVA cylinder head is 60 ft. lbs. or 81 Nm. if you prefer, Be sure to put back the head gasket and shims as you find them or you will have to reset the piston bump clearance. I will explain how if you need to do that. Sequence for tightening the head below.

AS I think I said, there is no handbrake as such. The brake comes on when you push the pedal right down to disengage the drive, then move the gear to neutral and latch the pedal down to hold the brake on for parking. I have no pics but the drawing from the parts book below shows the ratchet and pawl attached to the lever that is used for that purpose.( Part Nos. CO4, CO5 and CO7).
Fred.

E83Wvince
Flag: Great Britain

Post #94 by E83Wvince » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:55 pm

Thanks for your support Fred I've glazed busted the bore new piston rings it turns over sweet now
Just ordered a gasket set the old head gasket got damaged when removed unsure what you mean by piston bump only a copper gasket no shims
Ps it wasn't the virus it's cancer had an operation called a full Whipple's very bad
but luckily none in the pancreas
regards vince

Jeremy Rowland

Post #95 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:52 pm

E83Wvince wrote:Thanks for your support Fred I've glazed busted the bore new piston rings it turns over sweet now
Just ordered a gasket set the old head gasket got damaged when removed unsure what you mean by piston bump only a copper gasket no shims
Ps it wasn't the virus it's cancer had an operation called a full Whipple's very bad
but luckily none in the pancreas
regards vince

Sincerely wish you a full and good recovery :thumbup:

Jeremy

FOWLER MAN

Post #96 by FOWLER MAN » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:04 pm

Sorry Vince,
I'm confusing your engine with the Lister which does have the shims under the head. :oops:
With your Petter AVA the shims are fitted under the pot, (cylinder), if required.
The bump clearance is the clearance between the piston crown and cylinder head at top of the stroke. For your engine it should be between 0.036 and 0.042 in.
I have just written a long explanation which has timed out and vanished, please come back to me if you need the further info.
Fred

E83Wvince

Post #97 by E83Wvince » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:50 pm

Thank you for your help
Someone has told me to put some lead solder on the piston torque the head down and spin the engine round remove the head and measure the thickness of the solder hopefully doing it at the weekend regards vince

FOWLER MAN

Post #98 by FOWLER MAN » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:57 pm

E83Wvince wrote:Thank you for your help
Someone has told me to put some lead solder on the piston torque the head down and spin the engine round remove the head and measure the thickness of the solder hopefully doing it at the weekend regards vince

Hello again,
It is usual to use three small pieces of solder equally spaced around the piston crown, (avoiding the valve positions), or alternatively two one opposite the other. If you use only one piece the piston can tilt in the bore giving a false reading.
I used to stick the solder pieces to the piston with a dab of grease to stop them moving.
Fred

E83Wvince

Post #99 by E83Wvince » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:49 pm

Thanks again

Topic author
XS650

Post #100 by XS650 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:43 pm

Can only assume Winget had no dumper range in 50's so were selling Fowells.
Later on in the 60's they were marketing Winget/Muir Hills.
Craig

Not all those who wander are lost.

Return to “Dumpers”