Thwaites 4WD articulated dumper - front axle

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
sledgehammer

Thwaites 4WD articulated dumper - front axle

Post #1 by sledgehammer » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:12 pm

I have an old Thwaites dumper. It is 4wd and pivot steer. Looks to be about a 2 ton size. Can anyone advise how to determine what the model is?

The front axle has started making ominous"cracking" noises when setting off. It sounds to be coming from the front RH hub. I removed the end cover (which is marked Salisbury) and this reveals a set of bevel gears and planetary gears running in a paste made of oil and mud (mostly mud).

I think the wheel bearing may be breaking up. At the moment I can't remove the wheel since the nuts are immovable with a 3/4 drive socket set. I thought I would be able to remove the wheel and hub together but it is not obvious how it comes apart.

Can anyone tell me how to disassemble it or point me to a link with a drawing of what is inside? Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

stock
Flag: Cote D-Ivoire

Re: Thwaites 4WD articulated dumper - front axle

Post #2 by stock » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:11 pm

Wheels off first ,try the hot spanner on the studs heating them to a dull red.When they are cold they should come peacefully enough.The sound you described is definitely a dud bearing.
Stock

Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living living on this earth .

essexpete

Post #3 by essexpete » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:13 pm

Has it got inboard brakes (ie brakes in the axle in oil rather than drums on the outside at the wheel)? We have an old 2t pivot steer and the hand brake cable can sieze or partially sieze causing the brake to bind and squawk?
Last edited by essexpete on Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Julian

Post #4 by Julian » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:44 pm

sledgehammer wrote:I have an old Thwaites dumper. It is 4wd and pivot steer. Looks to be about a 2 ton size. Can anyone advise how to determine what the model is?

The front axle has started making ominous"cracking" noises when setting off. It sounds to be coming from the front RH hub. I removed the end cover (which is marked Salisbury) and this reveals a set of bevel gears and planetary gears running in a paste made of oil and mud (mostly mud).

I think the wheel bearing may be breaking up. At the moment I can't remove the wheel since the nuts are immovable with a 3/4 drive socket set. I thought I would be able to remove the wheel and hub together but it is not obvious how it comes apart.

Can anyone tell me how to disassemble it or point me to a link with a drawing of what is inside? Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike, I can't help you directly but the diff sounds like a Salisbury job, similar to the one on my old Thwaites Orion dumper.

I'd consider giving John Lewis Dumpers a phone call, he's a helpful chap and will probably sell you a secondhand axle for sensible money.

Julian.

Return to “Dumpers”