4X4 ADTs

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
Shovelman

4X4 ADTs

Post #1 by Shovelman » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:48 am

I ran across this Moxy 6226 recently chasing the big pipeline project going on in the midwest, and it got me thinking about 4X4 ADTs in general. In all my years, I have only seen three or four of these vehicles (a Volvo A25 and a couple Cat/DJB years ago). Were these machines popular in the UK and Europe? To the best of my knowledge, only Volvo currently still offer a 4X4 A25.

URL of the original image: http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/1387/rimg0010.jpg

URL of the original image: http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/3328/rimg0012.jpg

'Sorry for not getting more photos, but the machine was on private land and I was in a "very rural" part of Indiana/Ohio (if you know what I mean).

'All the best,

John

DaveS

Re: 4X4 ADTs

Post #2 by DaveS » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:14 am

Hi John,

At the moment I can't see your photos, just the famous red X.

There were a good number of makers of 4 x 4 and 4 x 2 artic dumpers in the UK and Europe going back as far as the '50s and '60s.

Companies including JCB, Cat (and DJB before them), Moxy, Volvo, Kockums, Kaelble, Northfield, Whitlock, Camill (sold as Muir-Hill),Thwaites and Eimco all had a few models ranging from about 9 tons up to about 40 tons.

Moxy sold several different small versions based on Ford tractors (actually made by M & W Engineers) including a side-dumper, as well as larger units powered by Scania, based on their normal 6 x 6 range.

JCB have had two goes at the market in the past 20 years with trucks of totally different designs, and had built a prototype in the '60s which never reached the market.

Dave. S.

Topic author
Shovelman

Post #3 by Shovelman » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:27 pm

Hi Dave,

I don't understand why you are getting the infamous red Xs. Is anyone else having the same problem?

Before I make a post, I always preview it to ensure the link to Image Shack is valid.

If my memory serves me; it used to be possible to actually upload images to the CMN server, but now it only provides the typical .

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

'All the best,

John

piedie

Post #4 by piedie » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:34 pm

In the nineties there was also a DDT 4x4 availible, Later on it became Link Belt and Astra .The type was D16.Later on the 4x4 disappeard.
In South Africa is the make Dezzi with type AD20B and AD25B and
from Denemark is the Hydrema 4x4 with type 912D availible.
Of course is there also the TerraGator ((Low pressure ground ) and the Twaites.
The most 4x4 types are neccessary for undergrond projects (Tunnel and undergrund mining.For the underground mining there are makes of
Bell,
Cat (Former known as Eliphinstone),
Dux ,
Eimco (EMJ) ,
Famt ,
GHH (MAN),
Kiruna,
Moaz,
Sandvik(toro),
Strongbird, .
These makes made several types up to 50 tons.
If i forgot some be free to correct me...

Return to “Dumpers”