My new Thwaites dumper

Discuss dumpers here

essexpete

Re: My new Thwaites dumper

Post #11 by essexpete » Sat May 23, 2009 11:22 pm

Julian wrote:
essexpete wrote:Thwaites Nimbus possibly 15cwt.

That's interesting. Was sold to me (via ebay) as a Thwaites Orion. The seller also gave me an illustrated parts catalog/owners manual photocopy for an Orion. I don't suppose it matters much, but would you know the differences between the Orion and Nimbus and which came first? I'm guessing that there's little difference.

I've found the remains of a sticker on the rear tin work that says ''Hewden/Stuart general hire division,'' could anyone here suggest a date?

Cheers Julian.

Well then it probably is an Orion which was ,iirr, the next model up at 20 or 25cwt. Think it was just a bit heavier in construction and bigger boots.

I have a feeling that our mid 60s nimbus (first thing I drove properly) was a lefthand drive.

dieselsamurai
Flag: Great Britain

Post #12 by dieselsamurai » Sat May 30, 2009 11:49 pm

Hi just found this forum but hooked now just what ive been looking for, Im dont work with plant but collect and use quite alot so this site very interesting.. Anyway dont know if anyone interested but when I restored my thwaites orline 2500 i decided to make the petter PH1 electric start, new flywheel and starter motor too expensive so looked for a different way. In the garage I had a dynastart from a 10hp garden tractor so fabricated a mount and welded a pulley to flywheel, well two years later it still works great! If anyone wants more info or pictures let me know
gary
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Julian

Post #13 by Julian » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:50 pm

dieselsamurai wrote:Hi just found this forum but hooked now just what ive been looking for, Im dont work with plant but collect and use quite alot so this site very interesting.. Anyway dont know if anyone interested but when I restored my thwaites orline 2500 i decided to make the petter PH1 electric start, new flywheel and starter motor too expensive so looked for a different way. In the garage I had a dynastart from a 10hp garden tractor so fabricated a mount and welded a pulley to flywheel, well two years later it still works great! If anyone wants more info or pictures let me know
gary

Hi, I'd like to see some more pictures if possible, your dumper is very close to mine but newer because mine has a chain driven gearbox. I've just ordered some new tyres for mine - I'm glad that it looks like I've chosen the right tread and tyre pattern because yours are the same. Interesting to note that you have three stud rear wheels whereas mine has a 5 stud pattern - like a series Landrover and like the digger/dumper.

Here's mine now, coming along OK, I'm spraying wheel rims at the moment.

Regards Julian.

essexpete

Post #14 by essexpete » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:08 pm

I would guess the 3 stud rear axle is a Nimbus and the 5 Stud the Orion. IIRR the nimbus was only 15cwt.

Dieselsam has your dumper got hydraulic tip?

dieselsamurai

Post #15 by dieselsamurai » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:20 am

Hi, looking great julian, its so nice when it gets to the stage when you can see the light at the end of the tunnel..

pete, yes It has hydraulic tip and inboard disc brakes (like larger dumpers) model is orline 2500 (1 1/4 ton) but axle is rated at 3ton so over engineered, dont know why 3 stud , rear axle on julian looks the same as mine..
It had had a hard life when i got it was described as being from the 60's! but think it is early 80's, but steering was tight and all brakes and gears worked so there was hope! + hydraulic tip its a godsend.
every part had 4 layers of paint over concrete in some areas, stripped it back to bare metal and restored everything back as best i could, could only sandblast smaller parts so most was stripped by hand ( 2 gallons of nitromors!) but looks and drives great + have shifted 200+ tons of soil in the last year alone, great little dumper
some more pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Julian

Post #16 by Julian » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:26 pm

Just about all done now, stuck back together, new tyres and running really well. Great clogs of soot from the exhaust at full load - just like a proper Diesel should be :D

Here's a few piccies for those as mad as me to enjoy, anyone near to Warrington can come and have a go if they want.

URL of the original image: http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg291/Julian100_01/DSCN0329.jpg

URL of the original image: http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg291/Julian100_01/DSCN0330.jpg

URL of the original image: http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg291/Julian100_01/DSCN0331.jpg

URL of the original image: http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg291/Julian100_01/DSCN0332.jpg

Toomanytoys

Post #17 by Toomanytoys » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:51 am

Hi, newbie here... really interesting thread...
I have just aquired a "dumper digger" and the chassis looks very very similar to yours Julian... 5 stud steering hubs, but has 16" rims on the drive axle.. It also has a PH2 2 cyl engine, has a logbook too (its "K" reg, 1972?) and is classed as a "vintage vehicle", I presume I have to fill out a sorn asap?? (wont be using it on the road, at least not for a bit!!)

The digger has some wear in the pins and needs a little work but is all there and seems to work fine..

The dumper body is actually in remarkable condition, and I doubt its had much use on the vehicle... barely a dent on it...

Need to sort he brakes as well as they dont work...

Martyn Henley

Post #18 by Martyn Henley » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:56 am

Greetings Simon, and welcome to CMN :thumbs_up:

Do you have some photos of your digger dumper ?

Martyn

Topic author
Julian

Post #19 by Julian » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:46 pm

Toomanytoys wrote:Hi, newbie here... really interesting thread...
I have just aquired a "dumper digger" and the chassis looks very very similar to yours Julian... 5 stud steering hubs, but has 16" rims on the drive axle.. It also has a PH2 2 cyl engine, has a logbook too (its "K" reg, 1972?) and is classed as a "vintage vehicle", I presume I have to fill out a sorn asap?? (wont be using it on the road, at least not for a bit!!)

The digger has some wear in the pins and needs a little work but is all there and seems to work fine..

The dumper body is actually in remarkable condition, and I doubt its had much use on the vehicle... barely a dent on it...

Need to sort he brakes as well as they dont work...

Hi, you're lucky, mine has the PH1 engine. (around 8bhp I think) It'll just pull top gear across a soft field with no weight in the skip. With weight in it top gear would be for hard surfaces only and no more than 1:100 hill :)

It is a cracking little tool for me, brilliant for taking a few odds and ends across the fields and saving your legs.

The brakes are easy to sort, just cable and rods with brake shoes and expander mechanisms just like a LandRover transmission brake. Just free it all off, grease where appropriate and make sure you have a full compliment of return springs otherwise they'll drag.

Good luck

Julian.

Toomanytoys

Post #20 by Toomanytoys » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:06 pm

Oh, forgot... here is a pic...
Am now starting to take it apart to repair/replace pins/bushes etc... but there are a few "challenging" areas that need some thinking about...
Anyone know how much it might weigh??

Oh, fixed the brakes... well sort of... as the shoes are worn and the left hub was full of grease... cleaned the shoes up, and they seem to grip ok, but really they need changing.. they will do in the short term... the adjusters were stuck and some numpty had "shortened" the main cable in a vain attempt to adjust them.... didnt take long to sort the adjusters..

Return to “Dumpers”