Petter PH1 - spill timing and rack position...

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
Fil
Flag: Great Britain

Petter PH1 - spill timing and rack position...

Post #1 by Fil » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:13 pm

Apologies if this isn't the right place to ask. I appreciate this is more if an engine question than a dumper question, but in fairness it's fitted to my Winget 2S.

I've been messing around with petrol engines for about 35 years, but diesels, more specifically their fuelling systems, I'm not so familiar with.

I would like to get a better understanding of the relationship between the rack position and the spill timing.

The situation is as follows:
I've just finished doing a top end rebuild on the dumper, which has the Petter PH1 engine. New piston & rings, new cylinder, head gasket etc. I set the bump clearance correctly as you should when doing this job.
The engine now starts nice and easily at the first attempt after following the usual priming/starting procedure.
The engine runs nicely and I can get it to idle at nice steady 830 - 840 rpm. However, it doesn't seem to want to rev out to much more than about 1500 rpm. It's the 9hp @ 2000 rpm model, so should be good for another 5 to 600 rpm.
I set the spill timing at 28 degrees BTDC, with the rack set at 1/5" between the calibration mark on the rack and the spot face on the pump.
I'm not sure I've quite grasped the relationship between the spill point and rack position when it comes to timing. Have I missed something obvious that's stopping the engine revving to 2000 rpm? Can setting the spill timing at a different rack position help?
Any advice gratefully received!

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Re: Petter PH1 - spill timing and rack position...

Post #2 by cobbadog » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:26 pm

Like you this spill timing on a diesel is something I havenot attempted. Im guessing your following a manual for it but sometimes terminology is something we seem not to be familiar with. Hopwfully one of the very helpful guys will come along and offer advise.
If this does not happen soon there is a Lister Forum based in the UK that also should be able to help Sorry I dont mean to promote another site but both are very helpful. It is listerengines.com
Cheers Cobba

mechman

Post #3 by mechman » Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:20 pm

Fil.
If you go on The David Cornwallis site, PH engines, work shop manual, page 3.12 onwards all the info is there. I've done them myself PH2 but memories a bit hazy now. Hope this helps.
Norm.

Topic author
Fil

Post #4 by Fil » Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:59 am

Thanks for the replies chaps!
Cobba, I'll see if I can find the Lister forum. I did find one called something like Stationary Engine Forum UK but there was seemingly very little on the Petter PH engines...
Norm, thanks for the heads up. I've got that manual downloaded and it was the bible for when I did the top end rebuild.
I started with the spill timing set as per the manual (13/16") but it didn't want to tick over, just stop. So I then set it at 1/2" as suggested in some previous posts on here. That got a nice tick over and it does run nicely, it just won't get much past about 1500 rpm with the pedal (literally!) to the metal.
Might end up being a case of trial.and error but I wanted to get my head round the relationship between rack position, spill point and flywheel position before I go back in.

mechman

Post #5 by mechman » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:18 am

Fil .
I think the 13/16" is the no gap setting between the governor arm and the end of the rack spindle, then you go on to set the spill timing at the 1/2" setting. I'm pretty sure it's the governor setting that's at fault.
Norm.

Topic author
Fil

Post #6 by Fil » Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:23 pm

Thanks Norm.
Where am I measuring the 11/16 between?
Is that the distance between the calibration mark and the spot face when the screw on the governor arm is just touching the end of the rack spindle?
And is that with the governor fully forward (away from the flywheel) or fully back (towards the flywheel?)
Sorry if I'm being a bit dense!

essexpete

Post #7 by essexpete » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:34 pm

I am sure the late Fred (Folwer fame) wrote some info here on CMN? Not sure how to find it.

essexpete

Post #8 by essexpete » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:35 pm

Topic author
Fil

Post #9 by Fil » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:38 pm

essexpete wrote:Spill timing ph1 dumper

That's the exact thread I followed to get me to the point I'm at now... :thumbup:

mechman

Post #10 by mechman » Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:29 pm

Fil wrote:Thanks Norm.
Where am I measuring the 11/16 between?
Is that the distance between the calibration mark and the spot face when the screw on the governor arm is just touching the end of the rack spindle?
And is that with the governor fully forward (away from the flywheel) or fully back (towards the flywheel?)
Sorry if I'm being a bit dense!

Fil.
It should be 13/16" from the calibration mark to the spot face when the rack spindle is touching the governor when it's at it's furthest point from the fly wheel. Also I have manually adjusted the setting when things didn't go according to the book, Due to wear etc but never needed the top end of the Rev range.
Norm

Return to “Dumpers”