Help identifying older Twaithes dumper

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
KarlKleinsasser
Flag: Canada

Help identifying older Twaithes dumper

Post #1 by KarlKleinsasser » Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:32 pm

I believe I have a Twaithes Nimline 2000. I would like to nail down a little more surely. I can't find enough info online.
One of the issues is I thought the Nimline 2000 doesn't have hydraulic dump but mine does an, even though there is evidence of updating done in terms of changing the control valve and the pump, the hydraulic fluid tank definitely seems to be original.
Or do I have an Orline 2500?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

essexpete

Re: Help identifying older Twaithes dumper

Post #2 by essexpete » Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:01 pm

Not entirely sure, but the Nimbus/Nimline was usually left hand drive and 3 stud rear wheels. Could be an Orion? It is not super old as it has hydraulic tip. Guessing mid to late 70s.

Topic author
KarlKleinsasser

Post #3 by KarlKleinsasser » Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:46 pm

Yes. It does appear to be an Orion from looking at posts online of other Orions. Anyone know where one would go to find manuals on it?

Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:10 pm

KarlKleinsasser wrote:Yes. It does appear to be an Orion from looking at posts online of other Orions. Anyone know where one would go to find manuals on it?

I'm guessing here but give Thwaites a try you've nothing to lose.

Jeremy

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #5 by cobbadog » Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:36 pm

I chased down a manual on Google for another dumpy a long time ago, so may be worth a search there but as suggested ask and search here first.
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
KarlKleinsasser

Post #6 by KarlKleinsasser » Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:57 pm

Jeremy Rowland wrote:
KarlKleinsasser wrote:Yes. It does appear to be an Orion from looking at posts online of other Orions. Anyone know where one would go to find manuals on it?

I'm guessing here but give Thwaites a try you've nothing to lose.

Jeremy

Thanks for the advice Jeremy.
Thwaites just sent me an Orion manual.

Karl

Topic author
KarlKleinsasser

Post #7 by KarlKleinsasser » Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:59 pm

I'll try to post pictures when we have finished the rebuild.
One more thing. Any advice on how to remove a really really stubborn tapered key from the Flywheel of a PH1 Petter?

mechman
Flag: Great Britain

Post #8 by mechman » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:59 pm

Hi karl'
You're best off fitting a key in the crank shaft key way to fit under the gib key to stop it bending into the crankshaft key way. Then use wedges or whatever is available to get the bugger out. I think I've seen in one of the manuals a tool for pulling them out. Mine showed a teriffic amount of resistance, in fact I tried a home made puller and anchored it to the chassis and bent the chassis, they are a pig at least mine was . I used oxcy acet as well.
Norm.

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #9 by cobbadog » Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:28 pm

Gibb head keys are fun, some are easy most are bastards. The correct tool is flat curved and tapered and either will work or wont. The head is soft and can bend and break off so go steady. Wil help if you spray WD40 or similar on it from both sides. If the worse happens dont shit yourself, you just go to plan B. That is to weld a piece metal metal to the end and use a slide hammer to with drawl. Some may need heat around the hub as well as the outter rim of the flywheel then more slid hammer action. I have had some break off flush with the hub of the flywheel so now plan C. Gibb head keays are only soft metal and you can drill them out. I use small drill bits and then slowly work up to as big as I can to remove the bilk of metal. Then collapse the key and it will come out.
Big tip is to clean up the crankshaft to be clean and shiney as new as any rust will bind up and stop the flywheel comming off. Not sure if there is any tapped holes for a puller on your flywheel but use them if there are.
Any other questions on this just ask. Dont get shitty with it and take your time, you will win.
Cheers Cobba

Return to “Dumpers”