Humpty Dumpy

Discuss dumpers here

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Humpty Dumpy

Post #21 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:38 pm

Well done Cobba :claphands: always very satisfying when you finally get to accomplish the intended outcome. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #22 by cobbadog » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:23 am

Thanks Jeremy. It took a lot of crossed fingers, arms, legs and eyes to get the result. New seal might arrive later this week, if not next week. A mate might have a replacement spring for the broken one. I went to go to his farm today to have the Club rego for out Hino truck stamped but he rang me en route to say he has a bad bug so I turned around and came home to clean everything up ready for assembly when parts arrive. That wont take long to do thankfully.
So in cleaning up the parts I took the brake actuator apart to clean and lube with never-seize. 1st pic is the actuator apart looking from inside the drum area. 2 pic is the back side of the same part. 3 pic is the actuator taken apart, 4 is close up of the moving parts. the metal rod pulls back which moves the central part with the tapers on it to roll the rollers against the slugs which in turn move out.

All pics loaded in reverse order.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
cobbadog

Post #23 by cobbadog » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:24 am

This is the 2 stages of movement, all the way in then all the way out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
cobbadog

Post #24 by cobbadog » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:31 am

Next is the new gasket I made that fits between the seal holder and backing plate. The old shoes cleaned up and roughened a bit using a rasp. The axle bearing and all 4 shims plus a stiffening plate that goes behind the backing plate.
Cheers Cobba

gecko.cx

Post #25 by gecko.cx » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:35 am

cobbadog wrote: So when in town next I will need to track down a spring to suit a 10" brake shoe

By the look of it, you'll find a matching spring at a trailer place.

Topic author
cobbadog

Post #26 by cobbadog » Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:09 pm

Thanks again gecko. I have to go and get our 8 ton Hino passed for Club rego and he thinks he has some over there, hopefully. There is a trailer place in Taree so will call in and see them or hit up a wrecking yard for a brake shoe spring the same length.
So my mate came down with some bug and warned me off for a few days and the oil seal is on order so until it arrives there can be no rush. Once all together again I will load Humpty up on Lorry the truck in July and take it to the truck show with a for sale sign on them both.
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
cobbadog

Post #27 by cobbadog » Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:50 pm

Picked up the new oil seal late today so tomorrow I start assembly tomorrow
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
cobbadog

Post #28 by cobbadog » Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:04 am

More progress and then a step backwards.
Fitted the new seal into the holder then started using Permatex liquid sealant between diff housing, all the shims, stiffening plate, blacking plate, new gasket and finally the holder for the seal. All went well here and is now locked up tight.
Then went to connect the brake rod and there was something wrong. If I connected it the brakes on that side would be fully on. So I went back to the brake pedal and followed the rods and checking their adjustments and were all perfect so an executive decision was made, cut and extend the rod going across the front of the diff. I never had proper 5/16" nor a left handed die nut to make a new adjustable rod so I bored out a 13mm bit of bar, drilled it 8mm and slipped it over the now cut rod and welded it in place. Checked operation and all is good again the World. Like so many things the first side welded lovely, 2nd side gave me crap but it will not let go. Now I just have to grind it up and paint it. For the eagle eyed members you may notice an elastic band around the slugs on the adjuster, this is only holding them in place until the brake shoes are fitted.
Drivers side is now all back together and tightened up with brakes adjusted there.
Next is that elusive brake shoe return spring that hopefully will be sorted soon.
Cheers Cobba

Jeremy Rowland

Post #29 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:39 am

Looking good Cobba :thumbup: and making good progress so all and in all that's spot on in my books. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
cobbadog

Post #30 by cobbadog » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:42 am

Thanks Jeremy, I am pretty happy with how it has all gone so far. Just got to go to a mates place who says he has a spring so hopefully get over there this week sometime. Once I have the spring it is a matter of minutes to finish it off.
Cheers Cobba

Return to “Dumpers”