PH2 fuel rack bellow replacement tips

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
Cheekymonkey
Flag: Great Britain

PH2 fuel rack bellow replacement tips

Post #1 by Cheekymonkey » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:21 am

Fuel rack is a bif sticky so thought for the pennies I'd treat it to some new bellows. Are there any tips on how to approach replacement I remember doing them on my old PH1 nimbus years ago but this looks a touch more complex on the 2. Any tips to avoid removing stuff I don't need to would be appreciated.

Also whats this in this 2nd pic. It seems like a spring loaded lever under maybe fuel filter/bowl? Some kind of primer maybe?

Picked her up a few weeks back to do some solid dirt moving

essexpete

Re: PH2 fuel rack bellow replacement tips

Post #2 by essexpete » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:07 am

Looks like a fairly common lift pump but the old Petters I have used never had one. There may be some info somewhere on this forum, posted by a late member, Fred. Jeremy might know.

Slooby

Post #3 by Slooby » Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:08 pm

2nd pic is definitely a mechanical fuel pump, usually driven off a lobe on the camshaft effectively pumping it via an internal version of the leaver you can see on the outside. The external lever is for priming which you would need if you ran the engine dry or opened any part of the fuel delivery system after the pump. They can be a pain if the internal diaphragm splits or there's an air leak into the bowl as they work on vacuum. The bowl houses a flat mesh filter/strainer that catches any debris coming from the feed side (there's a hole through the filter) to the outlet side

I've just replaced one on my JCB with a generic £20 job after finding there were some parts excluded in a £12 rebuild kit that I needed and it didn't really go together that well anyway
CMN Stuff: MF65, Thwaites Nimline, JCB 3CX
Projects: S11a 88" V8 Hybrid, 2 x S111 109"s, Mk11 Mini, Harrison L5A :doh:
Ish projects: T25 Camper, ST675R
Just added: Alpine S5 & Bridgeport Mk2 :wtf:
Sorely Missed: Impreza, E39 M5

dixie-normous

Post #4 by dixie-normous » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:37 am

On the lift pump (2nd pic) undo the centre bolt on the top and lift off the cover. As Slooby says there is a gauze fikter screen in there that should be cleaned every time you change the diesel filter, just be cateful when re-tightening the bolt as the threads will strip easily if you over do it and make sure the o ring is in place under the cover. If the diaphragm develops a hole you will get diesel in the sump and if it splits the engine won't run, so unless you have a starting issue or the engine oil level rises and the oil starts smelling of diesel there is nothing else needs doing to it
John
Black smoke don't mean it's broke, keep it flat out like a badger on a bypass

Return to “Dumpers”