Winget 2S project

Discuss dumpers here

mechman
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Winget 2S project

Post #51 by mechman » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:56 pm

I found the valves were ok in mine but lapped them in anyway but the guides did have play in them. I left them as they were and the engine0 ( PH2) runs fine.
Norm.

Topic author
Fil

Post #52 by Fil » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:12 am

I popped the valves out this afternoon. I needed to use my hydraulic press to unstick the spring collars and collects, but the seats don't look too bad. There's a tiny bit of a ridge round the inlet as though the seat has been pounded a bit too much but I'm not going to worry about that yet.
One thing I will be doing is de-coking the ports before I lap the valves. The exhaust is properly clagged up!

mechman

Post #53 by mechman » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:24 pm

Fil
One of the exhaust ports on my PH2 was completely blocked, I used a small chisel to break it out. A fitter at the plant hire shop said it was down to drivers leaving them running over break times ( tea, dinner, etc).
Norm.

Topic author
Fil

Post #54 by Fil » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:17 pm

Ah, that makes me feel a bit better Norm!
I've spent a satisfying couple of hours this morning scraping out the solidified carbon from the exhaust port, sludge from the inlet port, and cleaning up the injector port and mounting hole. I've also lapped in the valves ready to put it all back together when my cylinder base gasket arrives in a week or so.

Before lapping. Nice and shiny but a couple of little pits around the sealing face.

After - now a nice even matt grey colour with no pits. That'll do me!

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #55 by cobbadog » Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:20 pm

Nice job on the valves, they will seat just right.
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
Fil

Post #56 by Fil » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:03 am

I have a question for the collective brains of this fine forum...
I read somewhere that the Petter PH engines don't have a copper sealing washer between the injector and the seat in the head.
That seems a bit counter-intuitive to me, and in fact someone had fitted a sealing washer at some point in the past because it was sat in the bottom of the hole when I pulled the injector out!
So the question is: Copper washer or no copper washer?
Any thoughts on this conundrum??

Jeremy Rowland

Post #57 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:40 pm

Fil wrote:I have a question for the collective brains of this fine forum...
I read somewhere that the Petter PH engines don't have a copper sealing washer between the injector and the seat in the head.
That seems a bit counter-intuitive to me, and in fact someone had fitted a sealing washer at some point in the past because it was sat in the bottom of the hole when I pulled the injector out!
So the question is: Copper washer or no copper washer?
Any thoughts on this conundrum??

Must say I don't know what Petter normally does, but surely if you had a breakdown showing the engine parts in a parts manual, you would have an idea, some engines do seat injectors with copper washers to provide a good seal, others don't. I'm sure somebody on here will know for certain.

Jeremy

essexpete

Post #58 by essexpete » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:34 pm

Injectors appear to be available and seem to be supplied with sealing washer. A washer will also change where the injector nozzle is placed.

Topic author
Fil

Post #59 by Fil » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:22 am

Jeremy Rowland wrote:
Must say I don't know what Petter normally does, but surely if you had a breakdown showing the engine parts in a parts manual, you would have an idea, some engines do seat injectors with copper washers to provide a good seal, others don't. I'm sure somebody on here will know for certain.

Jeremy

I've had a look at a parts diagram and no washer is shown. Just wondered why someone has fitted a washer at some point in case it was a common retro-fit or something.

Topic author
Fil

Post #60 by Fil » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:49 am

Whilst in the process of the rebuild I had a few challenges. Some expected, some not!
The first one was that my engine didn't have the priming lever fitted ("lever B"). It turned out the priming shaft/cam was seized solid. I ended up buying a used pump bracket assembly for the lever, and after a strip, clean and rebuild, all works nicely now. The whole thing was gunged up solid with black sludge.
Whilst I had the pump bracket off, I shone a torch into the crank cases and discovered the oil pick-up/strainer was also sludged up. How any oil got through the mesh I'll never know! It was easy enough to remove and after a good clean in fresh diesel and a blow out with the airline it was ready to go back in. I wish I'd taken some pictures but everything was so filthy I didn't fancy getting the phone out to take some...
The final issue was the oil filter. I was expecting it to be a 5 minute job to whip the old filter out, change the seals and pop a nice new filter in. Sadly the big seal that seals the filter body to the filter head was compacted right into the seal grove and was rock hard. I ended up taking the filter head off the engine so I could pick the old bits of seal out of the grove. Thankfully it all seems to have gone back together ok and I can't see any leaks.

Return to “Dumpers”