Winget 2S project

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
Fil
Flag: Great Britain

Winget 2S project

Post #1 by Fil » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:22 pm

I should probably start a new thread to introduce my project, which as far as I can work out is a 1971 ish Winget 2S trip-tip with a Petter PH1 engine and rod operated drum brakes.

I bought it locally, and judging by it's reg number it started it's working life in Shropshire, which is where it still lives...
I need it to work, not look pretty (which is just as well!), but I have a few issues I want to sort out before I put it to work, and when time and money allows.
The list so far includes:

Brakes don't work (one rod is missing for a start)
Leaking oil from right-hand hub.
Steering column has the wrong sized top bush, so wobbles around.
Steering arm ball joints are all knackered
Play in steering box
Clutch seems to have stopped working
Tyres perished
Play in governor arm where it pivots in it's cast bracket
Gearbox oil is a lovely light brown colour suggesting water contamination.
And the rest is mostly cosmetic, so not worth worrying about at this point!

Topic author
Fil

Re: Winget 2S project

Post #2 by Fil » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:31 pm

First job this weekend has been to change the engine oil and all three filters. No really issues apart from struggling to get the fuel filter bowl refitted. I ended up taking the bracket off the engine and flipping the filter head upsidedown so I could see what I was doing.
The other issue was that one of the many bodges my dumper has picked up over the years is the oil filler cap being way too big for the filler neck. Someone had wound a few turns of insulation tape round the filler neck to hold it on. Most of the tape came off when I removed the filler cap. As a result, when I put the cap back on and started the engine, while is was stood round the other side checking the throttle linkage, the cap had been blown off and oil was spraying all over the side of the engine and bodywork :o
Luckily I spotted it within a minute or two and shut the engine off before much more than an egg cup full has escaped.

Topic author
Fil

Post #3 by Fil » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:51 pm

The other job for this weekend was to remove the brake drums with a view to dismantling everything, cleaning and reassembling the brake mechanism ready to see if I can get the brakes to work. I'll also have to sort the hub oil seal otherwise my brakes won't be working for long!
The drum on the oily side came off very easily.

The other side isn't budging. I've soaked the wheel stud holes and hub flange with Plusgas and bashed it with a copper mallet.

I'm a bit worried about cracking the drum as it's already looking a bit ragged round the edge.
Does anyone know if you can get new ones?

You might also be able to see in the last pic how someone has taken a grinder to the end of the axle, presumably because they struggled to remove the split-pin. One of several bodges I've uncovered so far :roll:

Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:36 pm

Fil, do you have a puller to remove the drum, it may be a better way to remove it rather than by belting it with a hammer?

Jeremy

Matchless?58

Post #5 by Matchless?58 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:12 am

Try a bit of heat on it as you are renewing seals etc it won't do much harm . Probably a stupid point but I assume you have backed the adjusters right off .

Topic author
Fil

Post #6 by Fil » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:20 am

Thanks for the replies folks!
I've got a couple of pullers but the biggest isn't big enough... Maybe it's time to get a bigger set.
I've not tried heat yet, but that's next if the Plusgas hasn't had any effect.
The adjusters are definitely backed off :thumbup:

Does anyone know if you can get new drums for these?

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #7 by cobbadog » Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:56 am

Hi Fil, it appears that you are having a lot of fun with your new toy. Sounds like there is a lot of crankcase compression but this may back off once you start using the engine again under load, good heavy load for an hour or more.
As for your brakes, are you able to rotate the drum? This confirms you ahve the adjusters backed off. Best bet is to buy a bigger puller and one with 3 arms if possible. The heat and your WD40 style product are probably your best bet without a puller. Apply heat the spray your lube and let that suck it inside to do the job. Once that has happened hit the brake drum around the centre area near the studs. This is the only place that can be holding the drum on unless the shoes are caught up under a lip on the drum. Heat and cool with lube a few times then get its attention with the soft hammer. Then give it another go at tapping the outer edge.
In the mean time have a look for another proper oil filler cap that does screw into your cover. So take the measurements of the thread hole on your cover so you can quote that size when tracking one down.

Most unlikely to be able to buy these drum new and 2nd hand may also be tricky.
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
Fil

Post #8 by Fil » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:49 am

Thanks Cobba, some good advice there!
The drum spins freely so no issues with the shoes holding it on. It's stuck to the hub. I'll buy some bigger pullers and try a bit of heat at the weekend when I get more time.

I've got a new filler cap on it's way from L&S Enginners so that should keep the oil in the sump! The one that was on there when I got it you could just pull off. There was nothing holding it on other than gravity :D

Matchless?58

Post #9 by Matchless?58 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:56 am

Take your time and go carefully these drums are virtually unobtainable.

Topic author
Fil

Post #10 by Fil » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:09 am

Matchless?58 wrote:Take your time and go carefully these drums are virtually unobtainable.

That's a shame! I was hoping someone has found a match off another machine/vehicle that you can still buy bits for...

Return to “Dumpers”