my first ever winget dumper how to start it???

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
Fess28
Flag: Great Britain

my first ever winget dumper how to start it???

Post #1 by Fess28 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:05 pm

Hi I'm a newbie to all this! I've just bought a 1973 winger dumped with what looks like a lister lr2 engine, I'm probably not man enough! But I'm swinging and swinging and swinging I'm getting one cylinder smoking but by this time I'm totally shot.... am I missing something?? I'm using both decompressors and only throwing one hoping it will catch.

kaos
Flag: Iceland

Re: my first ever winget dumper how to start it???

Post #2 by kaos » Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:28 pm

I'm using both decompressors and only throwing one hoping it will catch.

This doesn't work, ime. You have to throw both levers. Are you aware of the "cold start" on these engines? You pull out the stop lever and allow it to rotate back (further away from the stop position). This allows a greater amount of fuel to be injected on each stroke, helping with starting. Once the engine is running you must remember to return the lever to the normal run position. Also, your engine may be equipped with oil cups/plungers on the inlet ports. These can be half filled with lubricating oil and the plungers reinserted. After that, turn the engine several revolutions over with the decompression levers engaged, to distribute the oil. Here is a manual I found http://www.varen4u.nl/pdfs/lister/lister_man.pdf It is for the marine versions of these engines, but they are mostly identical so it should be of some use. Pages 18 and 19 of the pdf cover the starting instructions.

--
Best regards,
Kári.

Topic author
Fess28

Post #3 by Fess28 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:55 pm

Thanks for that :thumbup: , I have been trying to figure out how the the stop control works, I did manage to get it running, " son in law did, he's a big navy lad" I found that it kind of sits chugging not respond to any throttle and slowly dies stops, lots of black smoke, we did have it running properly for 10 mins, then once again on tick over it starts chugging won't respond and stops. Time for some research on lister diesel pumps and timing I think.

Matchless?58

Post #4 by Matchless?58 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:03 am

Check for the obvious things first . Blocked air filter fuel filter or exhaust blocked with carbon . Check the supply of fuel to each cylinder . I would be interested to hear how you get on .

Topic author
Fess28

Post #5 by Fess28 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:30 am

Thanks, I need to start eating more weetabix!! I've been given a link for a manual, which will make things a lot easier, new filters on the way :thumbup:

micksbarratt

Post #6 by micksbarratt » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:05 am

Fess28 wrote:Thanks, I need to start eating more weetabix!! I've been given a link for a manual, which will make things a lot easier, new filters on the way :thumbup:

You are not alone! I'm going through the same process of learning how to start my dumper. I was hoping that there would be an electric starter, given that collectors and users of old machinery are not getting any younger!

kj1123
Flag: Ireland

Post #7 by kj1123 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:46 am

Hi fess have you any photos of your winget dumper my dad has a 2.5 ton 3 cylinder one at home with an electric starter motor on it no sure if its the same model as yours but if it is I could share pics of the starter motor type any how it's fitted u might be able to retro fit one to yours also.

mechman

Post #8 by mechman » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:01 pm

Hi all.
I converted a Winget 4s to electric start, PH2 engine, the pics are on here under Winget 4s ( I think) time consuming but doable.
Norm.

Topic author
Fess28

Post #9 by Fess28 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:57 pm

Hi sorry for a late reply, work just gets in the way.

Topic author
Fess28

Post #10 by Fess28 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:01 pm

I've been using the ratchet strap technique to start her, I'm thinking she is down on compression a little, I'm going to take the engine out and start investing.

Return to “Dumpers”