Dumper bucket holes

Discuss dumpers here

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Re: Dumper bucket holes

Post #21 by cobbadog » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:06 am

Look forward to seeing some pics of the dumpy and that Matchless bike. As you say there is no more harm that can be done by still using it.
Cheers Cobba

This'lldo
Flag: Great Britain

Post #22 by This'lldo » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:54 am

Hi folks, Its been a while.
Progress is continuing well. But as is often the case, the more you do, the more you find needs doing.
The repacement AVA1Petter engine, £42 from a guy who only lives 10 miles away seems to be a beauty. Not running yet, but its a much later one and has the lovely external oil filter and none of the external levers and links show any slop or wear.
Recent examination of the brakes has been worthwhile. Everything soaked in gearbox oil, linings almost to the rivets and cracking up, bake cams and their spindle bushes well knacked and extensive use of braising done in the past, to make good, but that is now badly worn, but sound repairs are now in hand. Oil seals and bearings have arrived. Font hub taper rollers were actually well greased and adjusted, so a nice suprise there!
A nasty shock was the state of one of the front wheels. Rusted through at the edge of the rim. I think I can repair it but its a bit of a challenge. Does anybody know what these 3 stud 16" wheels came from?
Yesterday, while wire brushing the front of the chassis, I discovered a collossal amount of "rust heave" around the steel inserted in front of the front axle. We assume this is to add weight to assist steering grip when the bucket is empty. Slicing it out with a narrow cutting disc on the 115mm angle grinder revealed closely packed off cutts of 10g & 16g steel sheet. Looking for all the world as if they had just used whatever could be found around the back of the guillotine. When I've got the remnants trimmed back to the frame around it, we aim to use a couple of lengths of duff narrow guage rail to provide the weight. We have plenty of cast of bits that are no use on our track.
I know you'll be wanting photos, but my desktop wont accept photo from my phone. I'll see if I can send a post from my phone with them attached.

cobbadog

Post #23 by cobbadog » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:40 am

That is great news Pete. You are right about the more you do the more you find, but that always happens. Now I am not sure but I sometimes see 3 stud pattern wheels on the French made cars but not sure if it was the early Citroen or similar. I have the same wheels on my Liner Roughrider. Sometimes when you can get down to nice clean metal you might be able to see a brand name stamped onto the naive plate (wheel centre). It might be the car or the wheel makers name not sure how that happens over there.
Glad you had a look at the brakes and now thats another job to do but not a bad one.
Hopefully you can get some pics uploaded. Maybe try emailing them to yourself then open them on your desktop or posting them on your YouTube channel and use the link from there. Good luck with your repairs and again keep us informed as you make progress.
Cheers Cobba

essexpete

Post #24 by essexpete » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:15 pm

This'lldo wrote:Hi folks, Its been a while.
Progress is continuing well. But as is often the case, the more you do, the more you find needs doing.
The repacement AVA1Petter engine, £42 from a guy who only lives 10 miles away seems to be a beauty. Not running yet, but its a much later one and has the lovely external oil filter and none of the external levers and links show any slop or wear.
Recent examination of the brakes has been worthwhile. Everything soaked in gearbox oil, linings almost to the rivets and cracking up, bake cams and their spindle bushes well knacked and extensive use of braising done in the past, to make good, but that is now badly worn, but sound repairs are now in hand. Oil seals and bearings have arrived. Font hub taper rollers were actually well greased and adjusted, so a nice suprise there!
A nasty shock was the state of one of the front wheels. Rusted through at the edge of the rim. I think I can repair it but its a bit of a challenge. Does anybody know what these 3 stud 16" wheels came from?
Yesterday, while wire brushing the front of the chassis, I discovered a collossal amount of "rust heave" around the steel inserted in front of the front axle. We assume this is to add weight to assist steering grip when the bucket is empty. Slicing it out with a narrow cutting disc on the 115mm angle grinder revealed closely packed off cutts of 10g & 16g steel sheet. Looking for all the world as if they had just used whatever could be found around the back of the guillotine. When I've got the remnants trimmed back to the frame around it, we aim to use a couple of lengths of duff narrow guage rail to provide the weight. We have plenty of cast of bits that are no use on our track.
I know you'll be wanting photos, but my desktop wont accept photo from my phone. I'll see if I can send a post from my phone with them attached.

Sometimes I email photos as an attachment from my phone to my self, if that makes sense.

essexpete

Post #25 by essexpete » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:17 pm

Re the wheels, they were a bit of an oddity. 16 inch was a common size but not on 3 stud wheels.
You probably know this but don't weld even with a deflated tyre in place. Potential for an explosion.
A possibility might be sourcing something like a land rover wheel and cutting out the centre and welding in the 3 stud centre. I did similar with a cracked centre on an old JCB and it worked for years like that.

This'lldo

Post #26 by This'lldo » Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:13 pm

Thanks.
I wouldn't dream of trying to weld with the tyre in place. The stink of burning rubber (not just in a spinning tyre sense) is a big enough put off.
I did think of trying to weld the 3 stud centre to a sound 16" rim but patching the existing rim is probably simpler.
Its never going to face an MOT test. It dosn't take any drive or breaking stresses and it will lead a pretty gentle life, so as long as its strong enough to take the stress of having a tyre fitted there shoul be no problem.
Once I've had a go with a needle gun to shift the nobblier bits of rust and discover where the sound metal starts, I'm looking forward to the challenge of saving this wheel.
Still tryng to attach pictures. Tried sending them to myself from the phone. The arrive but do not appear as options when I try to attach.

cobbadog

Post #27 by cobbadog » Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:18 am

The only stresses are air pressure and believe me that is strong even at 30psi. You might find it hard to find a tyre fitter willing to fit the tyre to a welded bead area as they will be the first to know as their head lifts off. For a small amount of money pick up a 2nd hand rim and change the centre over. The other breed of French made car with 3 studs was Renault, the 2V2C or what ever the model was.
Cheers Cobba

This'lldo

Post #28 by This'lldo » Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:04 am

I can see what you mean. Yes its the 2cv Citroen and small Renaults that have 3 studs but I was expecting that their PCD would be a metric dimension instead of an imperial one. But I will check that out.
To my mind, the repair I am intending will be at least as strong as the rest of the aged wheel and under a coat of paint, probably un-noticeable.
If push comes to shove, it'll not be beyond our capability to fit a replacement tyre ourselves.tyre ourselves.

cobbadog

Post #29 by cobbadog » Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:48 am

Please be careful which ever way you choose. As for the PCD of the 3 stud wheel I am not sure what the French made ones will be but they are the only 3 stud wheel pattern I have seen.
Cheers Cobba

gecko.cx

Post #30 by gecko.cx » Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:46 pm

At this point in history, probably the best option is a modern 16" truck rim and an adapter plate drilled to suit your three stud hub.

Return to “Dumpers”