Front wheel steering dumper?

Discuss dumpers here

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Re: Front wheel steering dumper?

Post #31 by cobbadog » Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:51 am

A fix for your worn pulley would be o make an alloy insert to fit inside your worn pulley then weld the outter edge to make it as one piece. You will ned to know what the proper ID size should be but now you have a close contatc go for a drive and get all the help and advise needed.

Also, thinking about your over revving problem, maybe the springs are to strong or too weak or back to front. Might be worth taking a good look at Warthogs set up too.
Cheers Cobba

whhh45

Post #32 by whhh45 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:43 pm

Front-wheel steering on a dumper is definitely unique. Cleaning off the dirt might reveal more about its make. Good luck with the Petter engine work, and keep us posted on your progress!

Topic author
This'lldo
Flag: Great Britain

Post #33 by This'lldo » Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:29 pm

Went to see Brian with his George Fowell dumper today. An hour away but well worth it to yak with another owner and one who knows all about it.
Brian spotted that the ally gearbox pulley/brake drum is from the earlier "belt beside offside wheel" model and is larger diameter than the steel one on his "belt under the legs" type.
We both agreed that the steel pulley was probably introduced as the ally one wore, through action of the transmission brake. We reckon a steel one could be made, either turned from solid or fabricated and machined as necessary. Not a simple job but I'll discuss with chums at the pumping station tomorrow. Another reason for replacing the existing ally pulley is that it is larger O.D. than the steel one and runs just that bit closer to the belt guard, and of course, lowers the gearing!
Brian was also helpful in explaing that "belt beside offside wheel" is the early model and "Belt under the legs is the later model, something I was not clear about before. And from a number of differences between his and mine (both "Under the legs") he reckons mine must be the "in between" type.
I have loads of photos but have forgotten how to upload/attach them. Assistance please.
Pete.

cobbadog

Post #34 by cobbadog » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:08 am

Posting pics usually requires them to be compressed, I think.
Cheers Cobba

cobbadog

Post #35 by cobbadog » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:10 am

So pleased that you now have some reliable help either via phone, net or an hour away. To manufacture a steel puuley you can have a couple of choices. The local steel merchant may well have some pipe already close to the size you need or get them to roll some flat bar iron to shape then machine it all to spec. I have had to do this for some projects in the past.
Cheers Cobba

Jeremy Rowland

Post #36 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:26 pm

This'lldo wrote:Went to see Brian with his George Fowell dumper today. An hour away but well worth it to yak with another owner and one who knows all about it.
Brian spotted that the ally gearbox pulley/brake drum is from the earlier "belt beside offside wheel" model and is larger diameter than the steel one on his "belt under the legs" type.
We both agreed that the steel pulley was probably introduced as the ally one wore, through action of the transmission brake. We reckon a steel one could be made, either turned from solid or fabricated and machined as necessary. Not a simple job but I'll discuss with chums at the pumping station tomorrow. Another reason for replacing the existing ally pulley is that it is larger O.D. than the steel one and runs just that bit closer to the belt guard, and of course, lowers the gearing!
Brian was also helpful in explaing that "belt beside offside wheel" is the early model and "Belt under the legs is the later model, something I was not clear about before. And from a number of differences between his and mine (both "Under the legs") he reckons mine must be the "in between" type.
I have loads of photos but have forgotten how to upload/attach them. Assistance please.
Pete.

To upload pictures click on the tab above the box where you type labelled 'upload pic' then select the 'upload button for each photo you wish to post, then finally click on the 'insert all images and close'

That should do the trick :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
This'lldo
Flag: Great Britain

Post #37 by This'lldo » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:26 pm

Thanks for that Jeremy. I'll have a go at that.
And thanks Cobba. Those are the lines I have been thinking along. A suitable piece of steel pipe would be a great starting point. As a retired fabricator welder I know the difficulty of rolling steel plate without powered rollers and there is the snag of achieving it without dealing with the inevitable Flat at either side of the join. But as we have a genuine blacksmith at the pumping station museum I'm sure he could deal with that. We also have guys with great machining experience with access to big enough equipment. So it should be possible.

Return to “Dumpers”