Chaseside Dumper D4 - Spare Parts Book?

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
Chaseside_D4
Flag: Ireland

Chaseside Dumper D4 - Spare Parts Book?

Post #1 by Chaseside_D4 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:00 pm

Hi All,

We recently pulled a Chaseside dumper (D4) from the bushes, but as you can tell from the photos, it's in very poor condition. Nonetheless, we are still curious to find out more about these machines. We are looking for a Spare Parts Book for these dumpers, if one existed? So we can maybe see how it all went together :) Any other info would also be great - thanks.

Bryan

essexpete

Re: Chaseside Dumper D4 - Spare Parts Book?

Post #2 by essexpete » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:21 am

Wow not seen one in the flesh as it were. The serial number, which is Fordson, puts the Skid as March 58. I guess the Dumper would have been assembled not long afterwards. Shame to see it cut up. I wonder if there are any around. Looks like mainly tin work missing. Info on the shovels of that era seems to be more forthcoming.
Last edited by essexpete on Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

essexpete

Post #3 by essexpete » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:24 am

On second look it is rough. Is the skip rotten in the bottom?

essexpete

Post #4 by essexpete » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:27 am

It looks as though the gearbox is non Fordson. The main axle then drives to wheels via chains?

The way we were

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #5 by cobbadog » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:21 am

Nice little machine and most unusual. I also wonder why the drive tyres have been switched over and are running backwards, unless it did a lot of driving on sealed roads or concrete and traction was not required.
Hard to see but is the engine a diesel or petrol? Have you tried a Google search for a manual?
Cheers Cobba

essexpete

Post #6 by essexpete » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:31 am

John the drive is the other way around and safer with a heaped skip. Have a look at the link I posted above. Scroll down and you will find a photo that Fred posted a few years ago.
Another link back
Chaseside

essexpete

Post #7 by essexpete » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:18 am

Photo my late Mother took in about 1959 of a small gravel pit that Dad operated. It looks to me that on both Chaseside dumpers the driver faces over the skip. There must have been different options. The 3rd dumper (next to the Dodge) is a Motor Rail. Despite the Chasesides being mores operator friendly, Dad always said the Motor Rails were more simple and reliable than the Chaseside machine.

Johnson Dumper
Flag: Germany

Post #8 by Johnson Dumper » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:45 pm

:wave:

Topic author
Chaseside_D4

Post #9 by Chaseside_D4 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:01 pm

essexpete wrote:It looks as though the gearbox is non Fordson. The main axle then drives to wheels via chains?

The way we were

Thanks essexpete :)
Out of curiosity, where did you cross-reference the engine serial number? Is there a website for that?

The decay is pretty bad everywhere, the skip has holes in it and is in poor condition - sadly :(

The pictures don't show it well, but the gearbox looks to be similar to those used in the Thames Trader trucks. The final drive is a separate chain down to each front wheel. The differential axle on top must be from a lorry as well, slightly modified for the chain drive.

A great photo of the gravel pit, great to see them in action - thanks for sharing :)

Topic author
Chaseside_D4

Post #10 by Chaseside_D4 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:09 pm

cobbadog wrote:Nice little machine and most unusual. I also wonder why the drive tyres have been switched over and are running backwards, unless it did a lot of driving on sealed roads or concrete and traction was not required.
Hard to see but is the engine a diesel or petrol? Have you tried a Google search for a manual?

Hi cobba,
The dumpers could be driven in either direction, not switchable, but you could get one that faced over the skip for site work and you could get one facing the other way if it was more road work you were doing. So maybe the drive tyres were just left on the same way.
I checked the internet but no parts manual yet, I did find a nice operator's handbook.

Return to “Dumpers”