Chaseside Dumper D4 - Spare Parts Book?

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
Chaseside_D4
Flag: Ireland

Re: Chaseside Dumper D4 - Spare Parts Book?

Post #11 by Chaseside_D4 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:12 pm

cobbadog wrote:Nice little machine and most unusual. I also wonder why the drive tyres have been switched over and are running backwards, unless it did a lot of driving on sealed roads or concrete and traction was not required.
Hard to see but is the engine a diesel or petrol? Have you tried a Google search for a manual?

And sorry, forgot to say, this engine is a fordson major diesel engine.

Topic author
Chaseside_D4

Post #12 by Chaseside_D4 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:14 pm

Johnson Dumper wrote::wave:

A great photograph, thanks for sharing :)

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #13 by cobbadog » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:13 am

Thanks for clearing up my enquiry. The Fordson engines are very good and plenty of spares available through Tractor spare parts suppliers like BareCo etc. I agree that the gearbox and diff are light truck. There is the place to fit a PTO on the gearbox and that old style diff housing sure looks like early Ferd. Now some Fordson tractors used a half track set up on the rear of them and this also may be a lead as to its heritage of the drive train but tractors did not have the PTO, I think, in that position but I may be wrong on that.
Looks like a project to keep you out of the Pub for a few weeks just cleaning up the rust scale but it would be a nice way to spend some time and test your patience like many of my projects tend to do.
Cheers Cobba

essexpete

Post #14 by essexpete » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:22 am

I have a feeling that Dad found the chain drive part a weak link if you excuse the pun.
The Chaseside drawing did not do the Dumper any favours, looks like catastrophic final axle failure!
In the OP's photo showing the engine with the missing injector pump there looks to be another pump (or something) with a drive coupling similar to that the missing fuel pump would have had. I wonder if the injector pump would have had a mod at the Bell housing end to drive an ancillary. AFAIK the Chaseside of that era was gravity tip so I wonder what the pump was for? Did it have vacuum assist on the brakes?

essexpete

Post #15 by essexpete » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:22 pm

https://www.selen.nu/cgi-bin/trsnr.pl?lang=en

This site is very useful for dating Fordson Major tractor, Skid units and engines.

Topic author
Chaseside_D4

Post #16 by Chaseside_D4 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:14 pm

essexpete wrote:I have a feeling that Dad found the chain drive part a weak link if you excuse the pun.
The Chaseside drawing did not do the Dumper any favours, looks like catastrophic final axle failure!
In the OP's photo showing the engine with the missing injector pump there looks to be another pump (or something) with a drive coupling similar to that the missing fuel pump would have had. I wonder if the injector pump would have had a mod at the Bell housing end to drive an ancillary. AFAIK the Chaseside of that era was gravity tip so I wonder what the pump was for? Did it have vacuum assist on the brakes?

Haha! OK, it's probably the case, can't imagine the chain drives working well in muddy conditions either, very exposed.
You're right, the tipping is gravity and that additional pump is for the servo-assisted brakes. I'm asuming that the pump and master cylinder would have all been Ford parts.
And thanks for the serial number website link :thumbup:

Return to “Dumpers”