Thwaites Alldrive model and engine ID

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
skoolboi
Flag: Great Britain

Thwaites Alldrive model and engine ID

Post #1 by skoolboi » Mon May 24, 2021 10:25 pm

Hi all, looking for some help with identification of both the dumper model and engine ID. This is a project that I have recently started with my old man; he's the mechanic and I'm learning and doing the googling. The dumper was bought from eBay about 10 years ago and ran briefly before being parked in the field for what was meant to be a brief time.

I have looked all over the net and through many forum posts on here. I think it is a thwaites 4000 all drive, however all stickers have either been removed or painted over so hard to tell.

From what I understand, this model would have the Lister Petter PH2 engine, however ours looks nothing like that engine. We are getting to the point where we will need to start looking up spares so need to find the engine model and I'm having no luck. Any help would be amazing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

essexpete

Re: Thwaites Alldrive model and engine ID

Post #2 by essexpete » Mon May 24, 2021 11:25 pm

I would say it is a 2.5ton from the mid to late 70s. We had a 4000 2 ton dumper, probably early to mid 80s. The 2 ton machine had 5 stud axles. The one above is earlier as it had the outboard brakes and separate rear mudguards. The engine will probably be a Petter PH2.

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #3 by cobbadog » Tue May 25, 2021 8:04 am

Very nice little dumpy. What was the need for the strip down? If it was running usually they can be fully serviced with new oils and filters and clean fuel and away you go again.
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
skoolboi

Post #4 by skoolboi » Tue May 25, 2021 9:00 am

cobbadog wrote:Very nice little dumpy. What was the need for the strip down? If it was running usually they can be fully serviced with new oils and filters and clean fuel and away you go again.

When it was running it didn't have a working handbrake so we removed the seat and some other bits to repair the handbrake. However, it ended up sitting without the seat to cover the engine and this has let water into one of the cylinders which is currently seized. Hoping to free it today but will likely need a new cylinder barrel and piston. Also, the clutch appears to be stuck so will be opening that up shortly as well.

It's the cylinder barrel that is one of the reasons I'm not convinced it is a Petter PH2 as these appear to be totally round when searching online but ours are more of a rectangle.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #5 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue May 25, 2021 9:39 am

Welcome Jack :wave: the cylinder liner may just be salvageable with a good honing to clean it up, just depends on how easily you manage to get the piston out, good luck with it, I am lead to believe that Thwaites are very helpful with the spare parts.

Jeremy

Topic author
skoolboi

Post #6 by skoolboi » Tue May 25, 2021 10:15 am

Jeremy Rowland wrote:Welcome Jack :wave: the cylinder liner may just be salvageable with a good honing to clean it up, just depends on how easily you manage to get the piston out, good luck with it, I am lead to believe that Thwaites are very helpful with the spare parts.

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy, I assumed most companies wouldn't support models this old but this might prove very helpful.

mechman

Post #7 by mechman » Tue May 25, 2021 10:56 am

Don't Know what that engine is ( looks foreign) I have a PH2 in my dumper (Winget 4s) It's nothing like it. Could be Deutz.
Norm.

essexpete

Post #8 by essexpete » Tue May 25, 2021 12:04 pm

:dizzy: Oops apologies I had not look properly . Definitely not a PH2. I see it all has the 2 stick gearbox. I wonder if that type was just dropped due to costs?

v1230nm

Post #9 by v1230nm » Tue May 25, 2021 12:18 pm

I would agree with Norm.

I don't think this is a PH2. The rear cowling is quite distinctive shape on the PH2 engine and from memory the rocker covers were just a plate which were about 6" x 4" and had nuts which were about 1.25" across the flats to secure them. The only way to be sure on this is to either find a VIN plate or the VIN number stamped on the chassis or find the engine serial number plate and then contact Thwaites with the details.

One other possibility is Hatz made engines for the construction industry, but not sure if they made twin cylinder engines for Thwaites.

Neil. (v1230nm)

essexpete

Post #10 by essexpete » Tue May 25, 2021 2:52 pm

Well I felt a bit of plonker for not looking at the photos properly and it's persisting down outside at the moment. I dropped a line to Thwaites spares department, I have asked them for id in the past. Jack in that department thinks the dumper is likely to be an Alldrive 5000 fitted with a Petter BA2 engine (the 4000 had the PH2). A quick Google and it would seem the engine was more advanced than PH type but somewhat problematic, including being designed without a head gasket. The BA series was dropped when Petter linked with Lister. It would explain the similar way of lockingb down the rocker cover to other Petter models.

Return to “Dumpers”