Benford Dumper TT2000 not driving

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
Barry_e
Flag: Great Britain

Benford Dumper TT2000 not driving

Post #1 by Barry_e » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:31 am

Hi,
My 4WD Benford dumper just lost all drive yesterday. It’s a 70’s model I think originally with the hand crank Lister PH2 engine which I converted to electric start. Presumably the clutch has gone or something has stripped in the gearbox - Any body advise how I drop out the clutch / Gearbox / Dropbox all as 1 unit for investigation? Any help on this greatly appreciated as earthmoving has now stopped!

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Re: Benford Dumper TT2000 not driving

Post #2 by cobbadog » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:09 am

I have not had to do this job on my dumpy but first to make it easy remove the tin ware from around the engine and gearbox. This will give you a clear look at what has to be undone to remove the gearbox if required.
Before going down that road you need to establish if the clutch is adjusted properly and that the arm is moving back and forth when you press the pedal. If it does then look for an inspection plate and use a good bright lead light and look inside to see the condition of the clutch plate and pressure plate. If suspect remove the box.
Just looking at mine if I had to do this I would drop the tail shaft and use an engine crane and strap around the gearbox and undo the bolts and clutch linkage and lift it out. You have not mentioned if the gearbox is selecting gears so make sure this is happening too.
Cheers Cobba

mechman

Post #3 by mechman » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:16 am

Could it be that it's the drop box that's failed, Is it accessible without removing the gearbox?

Topic author
Barry_e

Post #4 by Barry_e » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:50 am

Many thanks for the help.... Gear selection is fine but when you let out the clutch the prop shafts try to turn taking up the backlash but no drive. Forward and reverse - same thing. As it’s the middle of my field, and like most fields currently a bit wet, I’m struggling to tow it to hard ground where I have the equipment to make a start! Anything I can do quickly to home in on the problem - like looking at the Dropbox is favourite at the moment. I suppose I’m asking if there’s a weak link in the chain so to speak where I can investigate first!

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #5 by cobbadog » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:04 pm

Anything is possible and it will be a process of elimination but by the sounds of it you have a failed clutch. Once you get it out of the paddock and to some where that you can start work on it I dont see why you cannot start by looking at the drop box after you have rmoved the tailshaft. Easiest test for that senario is once the tail shaft is removed put it in gear and see if you can rotate the flange. If not the gearbox must come out. I would not thi nk it will be a tricky job to do at all and the cleaning up before stripping down would be a big bonus. Also start to spray some WD40 or similar product around the nuts and bolts you have to remove including the tin ware.
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
Barry_e

Post #6 by Barry_e » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:28 pm

WD40 - Mans best friend! Thanks for the help. I’ll post pictures of the destruction!

essexpete

Post #7 by essexpete » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:28 pm

When you say lost drive was the loss immediate and sudden?

Topic author
Barry_e

Post #8 by Barry_e » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:05 pm

My lad was driving - I was on the digger but I think he tipped then reversed with the bucket a bit stuck in the pile of soggy clay. He thought the wheels were spinning so I think yes, pretty sudden. He didn’t report a bang but then the dumper has a few “agricultural” noises anyway so he might not have noticed..

essexpete

Post #9 by essexpete » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:00 pm

Got to be a shaft snapped or maybe the centre of the clutch disc ripped out or perhaps even the studs locating the clutch cover? Would think you would hear damaged/stripped gears.

Topic author
Barry_e

Post #10 by Barry_e » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:50 pm

Thanks for the thoughts... just not sure which bit broken would still allow the prop shafts to turn to take up the backlash but not drive. Leaning towards the clutch plate I hope but the clutch “feels the same” - thought it would be “floppy” on the pedal if it had blown up?

Return to “Dumpers”