thwaites 4 tonne year 2000 dumper wiring diagram

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
smarttee
Flag: Ireland

thwaites 4 tonne year 2000 dumper wiring diagram

Post #1 by smarttee » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:09 pm

HI everyone,

Can anyone help me with a wiring diagram for my 4 tonne thwaites dumper. It would not start today and appears to have lost feed to starter solenoid. Any help would be appreciated

thank you Stay Safe

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Re: thwaites 4 tonne year 2000 dumper wiring diagram

Post #2 by cobbadog » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:10 am

G'Day smarttee.
The wiring for these dumpers are very simple and straight forward. Look at any wiring diagram to find out how it is done. Basically there is a main thick battery cable going directly to the solenoid. Power from the battery or voltage regulator to your ignition switch then your ignition switch to the small terminal on the solenoid.
Things to check to find your fault is the power supply to your ignition switch and from ignition switch to solenoid. I would suggest the use of a simple test light and follow the position power supply. Your wiring maybe ok but your ignition switch may need stripping and cleaning up of the internal terminals, if you are up to doing that. If so be very careful when you take the switch apart as tiny spring/s may come out. Is a good job if you take a lot of pics of the switch as you take it off the dumper and apart so you know where each wire goes. Mark the wires so you know what terminal on the switch it goes to. Sometimes a good drenching of WD40 or a similar product will clean out the switch and terminals inside. I use a product called Lanox which has Lanolin in it so it lubricates and protects against rust as well.
Let us know how you get on.
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
smarttee

Post #3 by smarttee » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:49 am

Hi Cobba, Thank you for your reply.
I had removed switch and checked wiring etc, no power at small terminal on solenoid. the switch was new last year, ( 4 terminal) so assuming its not at fault. There are several relays under dash which are operating when ignition switch operated. hence why I was asking for drawing.
Thank you will keep you up to date
enjoy your weekend

cobbadog

Post #4 by cobbadog » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:22 pm

Never assume anything mate as it will make an ass out of u and me. Grab a spare relay and start to swap them about but new parts can and do fail so check everything methodically.
I had a relay in my 9 ton truck misbehave and it was not working and by accident I dropped it as I was pulling my arm out from behind the dash. Did not have another one so I plugged it back in and has worked since.
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
smarttee

Post #5 by smarttee » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:34 pm

hi Cobba,
I removed all wires from switch once again and rain a cable from battery to starter solenoid, and the engine turned over. Reconnected wires back on switch and turned switch and the engine started. Crazy!!
However, another fault appeared the machine will only moved forward. I have checked forward and reverse switch and all voltage is being transferred across contacts so tomorrow will check solenoids on spool valve on top of gearbox hope is nothing to serious, I haven't had problems before with this, don't like coincidences.
take care

cobbadog

Post #6 by cobbadog » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:59 am

That was definitely a dirty contact inside the switch. For your forward and reverse issue now you will need a multimeter but if there is a switch connected to the forward and reverse lever/foot pedal I would guess that is the problem child. Find that switch and drown it in WD40 or similar and make sure the switch operates as designed.
Cheers Cobba

Return to “Dumpers”