Petter PH1 difficult to start

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
edbangingamateur
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Petter PH1 difficult to start

Post #11 by edbangingamateur » Sun May 31, 2020 11:27 pm

Hi, thanks again for your replies. I am beginning to wonder if I have got a Frankenstein monster here. I think the compression relief was indeed on the inlet valve, I think someone has fitted a wrong lever to it possibly from the second cylinder on a PH2. They are set on opposite sides of the rocker boxes so would operate the wrong vale if substituted. I've fixed that. I also thought I would check spill timing but no matter how i try I can't find the timing marks as described in manual, no TDC no 24 or 28 degree marks. However after a lot of cleaning I have found 3 definite marks, one clearly marked "No 1" and one 3 inches each side of it unmarked. Interestingly i think at a rough estimate from the circumference of flywheel this is around 24 degrees??
I thought perhaps the flywheel might be from a PH2 but would it not have "No 2" also marked 180 degrees opposite? Tomorrow i will try to work out where TDC is by looking at the valve opening sequence and timing. I have read that these engines are fussy about oil and I have found that the oil level is very high, well above the full mark on dipstick, I will reduce level but will have to wait a few days before I can replace oil and filter Saga continues.....

mechman

Post #12 by mechman » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:07 am

The flywheel on the PH2 has a TDC mark and a further 2 timing marks either side of the TDC mark. It's so you can set the spill timing at the Rev range of your engine BTDC on either rotation direction of the engine. Sure one is 1800 RPM max and the other is either 2000 or 2200 RPM max. Think the single cylinder was 1800 RPM.
Norm.

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #13 by cobbadog » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:43 am

High oil level is something to be aware of. I only say this because you need to know what made it high. I would leave it stand over night before dropping the oil and look for any very running oil as if diesel has leaked into the sump.
Sounds like you are having so much fun resolving this little monster. Keep looking and trying stuff and ask away any questions.
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
edbangingamateur

Post #14 by edbangingamateur » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:06 am

Hi, thanks mechman, I had sussed that was what the marks were and on painting a line at the before TDC mark I can hear that the injection is about right when I crank it. I will do the spill timing just to make sure it is correct.
And G'day to cobbadog. Yes I was wondering if I had fuel in the sump, it's not very thin and I am waiting on new oil and filter before I can do much more. I assume fuel leakage into sump would mean rings or badly worn bore?
I recently bought very cheap a lawn mower that did not start after the winter, the seller said he had put oil in it too. Trouble was he filled the petrol tank with oil!

mechman

Post #15 by mechman » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:17 am

Filled with oil
Those type of people for all they mean well should social distance themselves from all mechanical devices.

Topic author
edbangingamateur

Post #16 by edbangingamateur » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:49 pm

What can Isay

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #17 by cobbadog » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:56 am

I'm not too sure but fuel may also drain from the pump back into the engine via the push rod if there is badly worn parts inside the pump.
As for the mower just check it up to an experience and a lesson. I had a mower given to me after I bought another rare one off a seller. He told me it was in a gully and is free to a good home. After I loaded it he then told me it went under water each time it rained. At least it cost nothing but I then soaked the bore to free it up and once I started to strip it I thought I saw some mud crabs run out of the fuel tank. Got it free and now runs as sweet as it could and is a very strong engine.
Cheers Cobba

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #18 by FOWLER MAN » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:41 pm

HI Tony,
I'm sorry I haven't been here to contribute to this post till now.
If I remember rightly the spindle, (shaft), that operates the decompressor is reversible and can be fitted the wrong way round so that it would open the wrong valve I think the lever should be on the flywheel end when fitted correctly on the PH1.
Yes these engines will run backwards and the pawl in the starting handles are reversible. The type mentioned by Cobbadog where the pawl can be pushed out and turned is the Lister type, on the Petter type you have to take out the pin and remove the pawl completely to turn it round.
To set the spill timing first turn off the fuel and undo the four bolts holing the cover plate below the injector pump. Behind the plate you will see the adjustable tappet which operates the pump.
Remove the injector pipe and screw out the fitting that it connects to to the top of the pump. Remove the valve and spring from under this fitting and replace the fitting without them. Turn on the fuel and turn the engine to about a quarter of a turn before TDC. In this position fuel will well out from the fitting.
You don't need a spill pipe. Just turn the engine slowly till the spill timing mark on the flywheel lines up with the pointer and if the timing is right the fuel will stop running, (that is the spill cut off point). Blow the fuel from the fitting as you go and you will be able to see the exact point when the fuel stops flowing.
If the timing is out adjust the tappet in or out to correct it and reassemble.
There are a few other settings which can affect starting so let us know how you get on.
Fred

Jeremy Rowland

Post #19 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:40 am

Thank you Fred :bow: :thumbup: I knew that you would be able to offer some good advice on this one. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
edbangingamateur

Post #20 by edbangingamateur » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:54 am

Thank you fred, yes I sussed the decompression lever and put that right. I will try the spilltiming soon. Tony.

Return to “Dumpers”