new dumper

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
Goggo
Flag: Great Britain

new dumper

Post #1 by Goggo » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:58 pm

Hello everyone

I have just purchased what I think is a Thwaites Nimbus dumper, it has a Petter PH1 7.5HP engine which when I purchased it it would not turn over. having removed the cylinder head and found the bore to be spotless and very shiny I attempted to turn it over again but it was locked solid! (wife not looking best please at this point) but I noticed that the chain drive to the clutch was full of muck so having removed the rear deck I found that the chain drive links had sized removed the chain and the engine turns smooth.
However I do need some advice on where to get a few parts and if possible a picture of the throttle linkage next to the injector pump

Looking forward to any help

best regards

Nicholas

Jeremy Rowland

Re: new dumper

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:38 pm

Hi and welcome Nicholas :wave: I think that Thwaites may be able to help you with the parts, if not there are people on here who can offer you some advice. :thumbup:

Jeremy

essexpete

Post #3 by essexpete » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:04 pm

David Cornwallis may be able to supply spares. IIRR the clutch utilised brake shoes from a contemporary car. The 60s Nimbus was something like a Triumph Herald. The chain could be sourced from a bearing/chain supplier.

Matchless?58
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by Matchless?58 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:41 am

Hi
Chain and new sprocket set can be got on eBay .
As already mentioned try David Cornwallis first though he's a very helpful chap and will probably have a lot of the small parts you need .
These are good reliable little dumpers if correctly maintained unfortunately they seem to get abused and neglected a lot plus bodged up as no one wants to spend any money on something which is not worth much in the first place .
Good luck with it cheers Chris

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #5 by cobbadog » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:34 am

G'Day and welcome Nicolas,

There should be no need to replace the chain unless it is badly worn. While your sorting the engine throw the chain in some diesel to soak and every so often take it out and give it a wiggle, it will free up. Once it does move freely test the chain for wear. This is also a simple test, extend the chain out flat on the bench and pull it sideways as if to try and make a circle. If it bends too much it is stuffed. Inspect the cogs for any excessive wear but these should be fairly tolerant to a bit of wear unless you are going to put it back to work full time then spend the money on new chain and sprockets.
A good way to put plenty of lubrication into a chain is to have a metal pot and put a heap of grease in it and put it over a heat source to melt it with the chin coiled up inside. Once the grease has melted let it all cool until the grease has set again. this allows the grease to be drawn into the joints of the chain. That was last Centuries way of doing it, now there are cans of chain lube and you just spray away.

An "off topic" question please. quite often on Forums I see "IIRR" posted. WTF does it mean?
Cheers Cobba

essexpete

Post #6 by essexpete » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:05 pm

If I remember rightly! Happy Easter all.

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #7 by cobbadog » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:38 am

That's why I didn't know, I don't remember much at all these days.

Thanks for that, it gets tougher as you get older.
Cheers Cobba

Return to “Dumpers”