Thwaites 4000 Alldrive 2 Tonne?

Discuss dumpers here

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Thwaites 4000 Alldrive 2 Tonne?

Post #11 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:20 pm

BrianC86 wrote:
Gavy wrote:Hi Brian, I have what looks to be the same model, with some of the same issues, I have managed to find a manual for a slightly different model but not my machine, I have a problem with my hand brake, the main brakes work fine but I have no hand brake, does your dumper have two levers sticking out of the front axle on the side, if you are lucky enough to find a manual can you let me know where. Gavin

Yes, I can see two levers facing me when the tipper is up. Applying the handbrake makes both levers pivot towards each other, the right hand lever moves more than the left if that helps?

I took a video of it but I'm unable to post it here unfortunately...

Brian, jack one wheel off the floor make sure the other wheels are chocked so it can't roll away, disconnect the lever on the side you have jacked up, spin the wheel by hand then move the lever as far as you can by hand, if the brake works you know it's just a case of adjustment, if not you need to look at where the lever enters the brake and see why it does not move the brakes themselves.

Jeremy

Gavy
Flag: Wales

Post #12 by Gavy » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:33 pm

Hi Brian
Thanks for the link to the engine manual, if you are lucky enough to find one on the front axle let me know, it's very frustrating not knowing how it works and finding no information on line. Gavin

Leedslad
Flag: Great Britain

Post #13 by Leedslad » Sun May 17, 2020 8:01 pm

BrianC86 wrote:
Gavy wrote:Hi Brian, I have what looks to be the same model, with some of the same issues, I have managed to find a manual for a slightly different model but not my machine, I have a problem with my hand brake, the main brakes work fine but I have no hand brake, does your dumper have two levers sticking out of the front axle on the side, if you are lucky enough to find a manual can you let me know where. Gavin

Yes, I can see two levers facing me when the tipper is up. Applying the handbrake makes both levers pivot towards each other, the right hand lever moves more than the left if that helps?

I took a video of it but I'm unable to post it here unfortunately...

Have you any more pictures of your handbrake lever and handbrake cable and where it goes into the front axle levers so we can see if it’s set up right

Leedslad

Post #14 by Leedslad » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:21 am

Hi Gavin

I have a full manual for my 1983 thwaites 4000 alldrive 2 ton dumper.

What’s the problem with the handbrake?

Chris

essexpete

Post #15 by essexpete » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:04 pm

Sometimes this problem can be caused by the handbrake cable not releasing properly. You may have already eliminated that point but if not worth a check.

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #16 by cobbadog » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:48 am

Try working some WD40 or a similar product down the cable. It takes time to spray a little bit then work the lever and spray some more and so on.
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
BrianC86

Post #17 by BrianC86 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:20 pm

Well, I neglected the old girl and the cold weather is starting to cause some issues.

The Lister TS2 wouldn't start yesterday and it sounded like the starter motor wasn't engaging, I tried the starter handle but it was locked solid. Towed it in neutral fine but the wheels locked up when trying to tow it in 3rd gear.

It was minus 5 degrees so I ran a hot water hosepipe over the engine for 15 minutes, which seemed to do the trick. We got it started but it kept cutting out when on tickover. The weird thing I noticed was that if I pressed down on the throttle slowly, the revs didn't increase. However, if I stamped on the throttle it would blip up to full revs almost instantly.

The throttle assembly appears to be working correctly so I'm struggling to work out why the throttle is unresponsive when used normally. It certainly made for interesting driving around our compact site!

Any suggestions on what the problem could be would be great, as I may be selling it in the next few months...
Brian.

cobbadog

Post #18 by cobbadog » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:03 am

At a guess only, it sounds as if it is all related to the freezing cold weather. Possible frozen fuel line, rack/pump and so on. I certainly would park it under cover if possible or at least throw a tarpaulin over it during your cold weather. At least appear to care about it. lol
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
BrianC86

Post #19 by BrianC86 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:32 pm

Fair comment Cobba, will see how she fairs when the weather warms up a bit next week...

cobbadog

Post #20 by cobbadog » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:32 am

I know I'm cranky to get started when it's cold !
Cheers Cobba

Return to “Dumpers”