Thwaites 4000 Alldrive 2 Tonne?

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
BrianC86
Flag: Great Britain

Thwaites 4000 Alldrive 2 Tonne?

Post #1 by BrianC86 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:30 pm

I bought a dumper off eBay over the weekend and after getting it home and doing some research, discovered that it's far older than I initially thought :wtf:

It has an air-cooled 1985 Lister TS2 engine according to the engine plate and the dumper appears to be a 1986 model. It's been repainted with more modern stickers applied and looks in good order. Hydraulic tipper, 3 gears, 4x4 and electric start. The brakes and handbrake work perfectly.

The clutch is literally on/off with no in-between at all, any attempt to feather it results in violent jerks and bounces. I quickly learned to dump the clutch pedal with minimal revs. Could this be the thrust bearing maybe?

The engine chucks out plenty of black smoke on start up and when it's under load. I got the engine nice and hot the other day and think one of the injectors is leaking, as I could see smoke escaping. The air filter looks new (outer only, no inner) but makes little difference to the black smoke whether it's fitted or not.

I'm hoping to get hold of an owners manual, preferably in PDF format if possible. Any suggestions?
Brian.

Screenshot 2019-09-25 at 22.18.26.png

Screenshot 2019-09-25 at 22.18.42.png

Screenshot 2019-09-25 at 22.18.49.png

Screenshot 2019-09-25 at 22.18.55.png

Screenshot 2019-09-25 at 22.18.59.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Thwaites 4000 Alldrive 2 Tonne?

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:49 am

Hi Brian and welcome to CMN :wave: there are plenty of experts on here who can advise you, sometimes it takes a while for people to reply but generally they do; years ago I can recall driving a brand new Vauxhall Chevette company car, the clutch was horrible it was either on or off and light as a feather to boot, what the clutches should be like on these dumpers I cannot say as I have never driven one, the black smoke seems about right though.

Jeremy

Gavy
Flag: Wales

Post #3 by Gavy » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:47 am

Hi Brian, I have what looks to be the same model, with some of the same issues, I have managed to find a manual for a slightly different model but not my machine, I have a problem with my hand brake, the main brakes work fine but I have no hand brake, does your dumper have two levers sticking out of the front axle on the side, if you are lucky enough to find a manual can you let me know where. Gavin

essexpete

Post #4 by essexpete » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:29 pm

Nice and tidy. We had one similar but I guess slightly older with a Petter 2 cyl. I'll bet the Lister is a better engine.

essexpete

Post #5 by essexpete » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:42 pm

As a 1st port of call re the clutch have a look at the linkages to see there is not any excessive wear. Should be some free travel on the pedal. If not like to be warping, or perhaps oil contamination?
Fred will be along.

Topic author
BrianC86

Post #6 by BrianC86 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:41 pm

Gavy wrote:Hi Brian, I have what looks to be the same model, with some of the same issues, I have managed to find a manual for a slightly different model but not my machine, I have a problem with my hand brake, the main brakes work fine but I have no hand brake, does your dumper have two levers sticking out of the front axle on the side, if you are lucky enough to find a manual can you let me know where. Gavin

Have you seen this manual for the engine?
http://www.davidcornwallis.com/uploads/LISTER_PETTER_T_SERIES_WORKSHOP_MANUAL_EDITION_12_MAY_2005.pdf

I'll have a look at the front axle tomorrow and will post a piccy too :thumbup:

Topic author
BrianC86

Post #7 by BrianC86 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:44 pm

essexpete wrote:As a 1st port of call re the clutch have a look at the linkages to see there is not any excessive wear. Should be some free travel on the pedal. If not like to be warping, or perhaps oil contamination?
Fred will be along.

Will do, cheers...

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #8 by cobbadog » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:45 am

With your smoking issue, I would at least pull both injectors and put new sealing washers under both but while they are out clean them up a bit and do a simple test on the spray pattern of the nozzles.
DO NOT PUT YOUR HAND OR BODY IN FRONT OF THE SPRAY.
Having said that, pull both injectors and hook them back up to the lines and crank the engine over to see what the spray pattern is like. If it is an even spray like a spray on the garden hose fit new washers and refit them. Next run some fuel injector cleaner through your fuel line for a tank full at least. It may or may not help but it certainly won't hurt. I have heard but never done it but a small amount of petrol in with th diesel helps clean the system but I stick with products that were designed for the job at hand. Try without the air cleaner just with the starting and full revs to see if that makes a difference. Sometime filters look clean but are not. If this is going to be put back to work do a full service on it and change ALL your oils (engine, gearbox & diff) and filters and then you know where you are at. May even be worth changing the brake fluid as well.
Very nice looking machine and hope it gives you years of fun.
Cheers Cobba

essexpete

Post #9 by essexpete » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:49 am

Another point worth a regular check is gearbox oil and particularly water contamination. Seems to find its way in to some of those old gearboxes.

Topic author
BrianC86

Post #10 by BrianC86 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:34 pm

Gavy wrote:Hi Brian, I have what looks to be the same model, with some of the same issues, I have managed to find a manual for a slightly different model but not my machine, I have a problem with my hand brake, the main brakes work fine but I have no hand brake, does your dumper have two levers sticking out of the front axle on the side, if you are lucky enough to find a manual can you let me know where. Gavin

Yes, I can see two levers facing me when the tipper is up. Applying the handbrake makes both levers pivot towards each other, the right hand lever moves more than the left if that helps?

I took a video of it but I'm unable to post it here unfortunately...

Return to “Dumpers”