Barford (of Belton) site Dumpers

Discuss dumpers here

Bog Myrtle
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Barford (of Belton) site Dumpers

Post #21 by Bog Myrtle » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:35 pm

mechman wrote:Those mud guards look like a Winget type of of thing.

Had me fooled for a while too but the tool box between the wings (and lots of other details) is the same as the one on the film - another still below. That one is sign-written A B Hire - another Aveling Barford spinoff.

Topic author
Yewman
Flag: Great Britain

Post #22 by Yewman » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:00 am

The early Wingets looked like these in the 1950's when the Barford 100 came out.
I guess Winget copied the idea. Most manufacturers seemed to " share " design features at the time.
As Andy says above, A-B Hire was an offshoot/subsidiary of Aveling Barford until Leyland bought Aveling Barford in 1968.
Despite being profitable,
Leyland sold A-B hire, which became Abex, which was a bad move like so many decisions made by Leyland executives who hadn't a clue about Engineering.
A-B Hire was a great way of putting A-B machines in the field, and having just joined Aveling Barford the same year, I remember the consternation in Sales that a very profitable captive market had been dumped.

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #23 by cobbadog » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:24 am

Yeah Leyland did make some very strange decisions and was the downfall of a lot of decent and half decent bits of machinery. I won't miss the trucks but they made some extremely good tractors both small and mid range. I feel they were very under rated. Read a story obout the tractor side of things in Tractor Farming Heritage a magazine local to the UK which I subscribe to.
Cheers Cobba

FarEarthFoundation
Flag: Fiji

Post #24 by FarEarthFoundation » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:16 am

Hi, I have I think the same model 100 Barford, even been painted same green colour. Am trying to date mine for DVLA registration. Has a Petter PH1 which I think from code is 1961 build year. There is a tag on the mudguard under drivers seat which has 100 Dumper on it and a PR Motors tag on gearbox but no date info that I can work out. Does yours have a tag on mudguard and gearbox? Maybe I can work out my date from your numbers? Be appreciated if can send me some pics of tags you have. Cheers David

Bog Myrtle wrote:Hello. I have what I think is a Barford 100 of 1960-66 vintage - any thoughts welcome.
It has a Petter AVA1 and is still working hauling timber and logs in Devon. It's road legal but was re-registered by a previous owner incorrectly as a Winget. The original reg is known but the chassis plate is missing.
Andy

Return to “Dumpers”