Petter PH1 Bryce fuel pump problem

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
bangertrack

Petter PH1 Bryce fuel pump problem

Post #1 by bangertrack » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:58 am

Hello, had a problem with ph2 in my thwaites alldrive dumper. Found the main fuel pump spring had broken. Needed the dumper so took one out of a ph1 engined thwaites I have, while the new spring was delivered. Had no problems rebuilding the ph2 pump.

The spring has arrived and so able to rebuild the other pump. Unfortunately there appears to be no timing marks (no marks or missing teeth) on the pinion ( the cylindrical part that meshes with the rack). There are also two slots in the part with no marks to define the element plunger position. Anybody any ispdeas how I time it up, please?

Also, when I removed the pumps on both engines, there was no oil around the follower that operates the fuel pumps. It is a long while since I have stripped a PH motor - so how is the tappet lubricated - where is presses the fuel pump?

Thanks
Will

Topic author
bangertrack

Re: Petter PH1 Bryce fuel pump problem

Post #2 by bangertrack » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:36 am

All fixed - stripped the other pump and used its pinion to mark up the blank one. Both machines now work.

To answer the oil question - minimal oil gets in there - the cam follower just pushes on the pump (i.e. no sliding) - there is a drain to ensure fluid drains to the sum - I think that is how it works???

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #3 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:13 pm

Hello Lawrence,

I was about to reply to your post, even went out to the workshop and stripped an old pump to refresh my memory :lol: Glad you got it sorted anyway. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Here's the pic. I just took of the marks you should have found on the rack and pinion, they can be difficult to see.
The pic. may be of help to someone else. :think:
Fred

Topic author
bangertrack

Post #4 by bangertrack » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:01 pm

Fred, thankyou for the information. That mark above the teeth was not on my unit, but I marked it as shown on yours - in line with the first tooth after the tooth that was in line with the slot edge. The unit I marked also had teeth for the full 360deg of the part and 2 slots, whereas my reference part had one slot and teeth for approx 2/3 of the circumference.
Anyway -all running now.

Thanks again
Will

Return to “Dumpers”