Dumper identification

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
Ronan Keaveney
Flag: Ireland

Dumper identification

Post #1 by Ronan Keaveney » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:28 am

Hi all. I'm a new member to this great forum... I've recently bought a dumper that I'm planning to restore, it dosent need a lot apart from some work on the brakes and steering box... I can't identify what kind of dumper it is as the Vin plate is missing... I think it's a Benford.. I will try and post some pictures and hopefully someone will be able to identify make, model and year.. thank you.. Ronan K

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Dumper identification

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:51 am

Hi Ronan and welcome to CMN :wave: if you post photos of your dumper somebody will be able to offer you some advice.

Jeremy

Topic author
Ronan Keaveney

Post #3 by Ronan Keaveney » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:34 pm

Thank you Jeremy... il try and get some photos posted.. I'm new to forums...

Topic author
Ronan Keaveney

Post #4 by Ronan Keaveney » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:16 pm

Topic author
Ronan Keaveney

Post #5 by Ronan Keaveney » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:23 pm

I haven't done a good job putting up the pictures... il give it another go!

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #6 by cobbadog » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:29 pm

We still get the idea of what you have so well done. I notice that there is 2 of these threads and I offered some ideas on the other one as well. Something that I forgot to mention over there was more info on the steering box. When I took my one out and cleaned it up it had 'Bishop" stamped on the flat plate which acts as a thrust plate for the end float on the cross shaft. After some research I found that Bishop made and still make steering boxes but now more rack n pinion tham this type. These boxes were also used in MG cars and other UK made small vehicles so they should be quite common over your way. When I assembled my box after welding the steering peg I ended up removing one of the shims to tighten it up a bit. In hindsight, if my welding repair does not last I will machine up another peg on the little lathe and fit that but as we only use ours to take to Rallies and Show days it should out last me by a lot,
I see yours is a Petter engine so there are some manuals on this site for them as a free download I'm sure. Otherwise I Googled a manual for my Lister and saved it.
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
Ronan Keaveney

Post #7 by Ronan Keaveney » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:24 pm

Yes there is 2 thread's surely.. thats my fault as I wasn't sure what I was at when I started off writing... my steering box is bad enough, it jams up when you go to turn so I reckon the bearings could be gone or possibly the worm is worn... il strip it down and check it out. The Petter engine is running well but needs a good service.. the fuel tank is not original as you can see but il get 1 for it... What make and model of dumper have you ?

cobbadog

Post #8 by cobbadog » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:38 am

My dumper is a Liner - Roughrider with a SR2 Lister diesel. I have put an extra seat on it for Dee to ride on safely. I also want to change the steer tyres over back to being the tri-ribbed style to make the steering lighter as well.
In my steering box there was no bearings only bushes. Last owner had packed the box with grease and is why it failed. Grease separates and then no longer lubricates so is why oil is best. So clean everything up and make a gasket up similar in thickness to what was there and do a dry assembly and test for end float and when happy assemble and put SAE140 oil in. I can post a pic of the felt seal and the rubber one I replaced it with if needed.
Cheers Cobba

cobbadog

Post #9 by cobbadog » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:40 am

Here are a couple of pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
Ronan Keaveney

Post #10 by Ronan Keaveney » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:43 am

Great.. thanks. Your Dumper is in great condition, it looks very well. id say water got into my steering box and that's why it's partly seized... I'm gonna strip everything down and see what I need to get... these old machine's are so simple compared with modern stuff to repair.. I work with a Company that has all new equipment and vans and you can spend hour's trying to sort out electrical problems!! It's enjoyable working on old stuff ...

Return to “Dumpers”