Ball & Roller Bearings

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Ball & Roller Bearings

Post #1 by cobbadog » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:55 am

Yesterday I found out once again if you think that the bearing you are chasing is no longer available or is a rare beast and the price is way too high I found this is what my bearing supply shop did for me.
Yes this is a wheel bearing off a David Brown Cropmaster tractor that I am restoring and at the stage of getting it blasted for paint work but as I wait for the high humidity to go away I am playing with the little bits and pieces that require servicing. One of the front wheel bearing was found to be totally stuffed with 2 tapered roller missing completely. The bearing has its own number with an "X" stamped on it and the cone has a different number. This was confusing to me. When I put it on the counter the owner of the business looked at it carefully and stated it was from a David Brown tractor. I asked how he knew that and he said its because of the "X" stamped on the cone.
Apparently this "X" system allows different rollers to be matched with different cones to suit different situations. Bloody pricey was his first comment and hard to get. Then as time went by all the staff were looking at this strange bearing and shaking their heads. Well Ces, the owner said lets think outside the box. He measured the OD and ID as well as the width and went out the back and put a AU$27.00 on the counter. There you go that will do the job. During this time one of the staff looked up the cost of a replacement cone to suit the "X" bearing and it was AU$50.00 just for that.
So the lesson I took away and have said a few times always take advice from those who do know what they are talking about and if you find a bearing of any kind that is tricky to find and replace off the original number take the bearing or the exact sizes with you to a bearing shop and save some money.

Hope this help others when looking about for bearings.
Cheers John
Cheers Cobba

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Ball & Roller Bearings

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:57 am

Thanks John :thumbup: yes this is something that some of us on here are aware of; the company that I work for are a drives and bearing supplier so you don't have to guess where my first stop for bearings, couplings, drive belts and seals is.
My advice is that bearings are made to fit most applications so the only critical bit is what John's bearing supplier did and that is to measure the O/D, the I/D and the width, beats buying from the manufacturer of the machine/vehicle who only add their mark up to all prices. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Return to “Dumpers”