Rear tyres

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
freddyuk

Rear tyres

Post #1 by freddyuk » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:05 am

If you are using standard treaded tyres on your small Winget or Thwaites dumper then get a set of three rib tractor front tyres (as should be on there as standard) and you will find the steering is transformed as in having power steering!! The difference is amazing. Using car tyres puts strain on the steering box as the friction is so high. I finally got my new three stud wheels and fitted new tractor tyres and it now steers so easily it is a joy. Tyres available on Ebay cheap enough.

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Re: Rear tyres

Post #2 by cobbadog » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:03 am

Very true Freddy. It is the reason why I just had to rebuild the steering peg in my steering box. TRI ribbed tyres are readily available through any tyre store as well as you have already said they are tractor tyres. The other thing to mention is not to use grease in your steering box as it is NOT suitable. It seperates when you operate the steering and never returns to make contact with the moving parts. I removed the old felt seal and replaced it with a normal oil seal and then filled the box with some good old SAE 140 grade oil. Heavy but good.
Cheers Cobba

essexpete

Re: Rear tyres

Post #3 by essexpete » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:20 pm

Same on some older tractors as well.

Return to “Dumpers”