Unknown make & model Dumper

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Re: Unknown make & model Dumper

Post #21 by cobbadog » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:40 am

Here are some pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
cobbadog

Post #22 by cobbadog » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:19 am

Went to our first rally last weekend with Humpty Dumpy and he was a real "star". The commentator was actually lost for words as to how to describe Humpty and knew nothing of them.
Anyway, I started to chase the excessive steering wheel movement and found over the weekend that the centre pivot ahd a bit of movement so today I dropped the rear axle and measured up the pin and bushed. The shaft showed no sign of wear at all and the bushes are about 1mm larger than the shaft. There was also a little bit of a gap between the bushes on the axle pivot and the frame so I made a shim up to fit there for now. I'm not sure what tolerances I should have between the shaft and bushes but I did not think 1mm was very much. Tomorrow the steering box comes out to see what is going on inside there.
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
cobbadog

Post #23 by cobbadog » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:57 am

Here is the latest. the things you find as you pull things down. I noticed on the rear wheels that they have SAAB stamped into the naive plate (wheel centre) and I am guessing that these would not be the originals but just use the same stud pattern.
Well I started looking at the possibilities for excessive steering wheel movement. I noticed a small amount of movement on the pivot pin on the rear axle so I dropped that out and measured the pivot pin and then the bushes inside the axle. The bushes were 1mm larger on the inside diameter than the outside diameter of the pin. Not a lot but I feel that is not too bad for something this age. Then out came the steering box and what I found was astonishing. The drive pin that connects to the worn drive was badly worn out and at some stage some idiot removed any oil and stuck grease inside rather than fixing the oil leak. This allowed the box to not be lubricated on any of the moving parts. The grease simply parts it way and does not return to make contact with the moving parts. The bearings top and bottom of the worm were in bad shape and had 10% of the ball bearings missing top and bottom. The worm is badly pitted but serviceable for the use that Humpty will be getting.
So tomorrow I will get some new bearings and change the oil seal from a felt seal to a proper neoprene seal with a double lip on it to retain the oil inside. I will build up the worn pin with a suitable weld and shape it to fit the worm drive properly and then start shimming the parts back together again. Then once ready fill it with some SAE 140 oil.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers Cobba

Jeremy Rowland

Post #24 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:58 am

Sounds like you have a plan there John :thumbup: the steering worm will be okay for what the dumper will be used for its not like its going to work on a building site anytime soon; not really surprised at what you have found though, there are some class bodgers out there. :P Good luck with it. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
cobbadog

Post #25 by cobbadog » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:56 am

Well I got a new seal to replace that old felt seal and this will fix the oil leak. No new ball bearing cup, cages and balls available just new balls so I bought all new of them. So the new balls are in the old cages and now fitted and adjusted to be as good as it can ever be. I will be doing the welding repair to the steering peg tomorrow and will take pics of it as I go.
I noticed that one of the plates on the box has BISHOP stamped on it so I am guessing that is the maker of it. Also found SAAB stamped on the wheel centres of the steering and that the drive wheels look Land Rover along with the Salisbury diff.
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
cobbadog

Post #26 by cobbadog » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:58 am

I welded up the steering peg today, roughly shaped it and finished assembling the box. It went together well, even those mongrel ball bearing cages behaved themselves and gave no trouble. The new oil seal installed as expected and now there is no free play in the steering box at all. I used SAE 85/140 mineral oil in the box and it was like treacle today in the cool weather but it is in there now. This Bishop made box sits on Humpty upside down as the filler plug is slightly facing downwards so I filled it up while it was on the bench to ensure some oil gets around the worm drive and the top bearings. I now have only a small amount of free play and all of that is at the rear axle pivot pin. I am not worried about that small amount so next is to fit an extra seat for Dee to sit on along with a hand rail to hang onto. I was side tracked earlier and never got the engine and fuel system serviced so that is also on the list of things to do. New oil is ordered and on its way this week sometime but all the filters are here ready to go. Some new fuel line and clamps are yet to kind there way home with me one day soon.
You can also see in one of the pictures the new style oil seal installed and the oil style felt seal, there is no comparison between the two.

"I now have Humpty together again !"

I've been wanting to say that right from the beginning. :doh:
Cheers Cobba

Jeremy Rowland

Post #27 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:21 pm

John that's what all the kings horses and all the kings men failed to do :lol: Glad you got it sorted. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
cobbadog

Post #28 by cobbadog » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:12 am

Hi Guys,
Sorry to keep going on about this but I do like to share any information I find out on our toys.
The BISHOP steering box whether it was original or not in these Dumpers was used by some of the early MG series cars going back to the TD/E series. A MG restoration Company in the UK lists an exploded view of the box along with their own part numbers and with some prices to go with it all. Some of the things I found helpful was that a new peg can be bought from them as well as a worm gear and bearings complete but sit down when you see the prices. I then found that Bishop supplied GMH Australia with power steering boxes from the Kingswood series so that was the late 1960's/1970's. If I kept searching I could possibly find the company still in action but now seem to do racing steering boxes and rack n pinion racks, not sure if they can supply old parts. SO I have added these details to my file on Humpty Dumpy as a reference to remind me what I found out.
Hope this help others too !
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
cobbadog

Post #29 by cobbadog » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:27 am

Well the second seat is now bolted in place with a slight overhang but I am now making up a safety hand rail for Dee to be safe when sitting here when we do laps on a Grand Parade at Rallies. Once it is all in place I will post a pic.
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
cobbadog

Post #30 by cobbadog » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:18 am

Well this is pretty much the final product. Still a little rough but that is just a "name sake". I have added the extra seat, safety hand rail and if you look closely a "short leg" step for my wife to climb aboard. (All toys including Lorry have this addition). ?I want to clean up the bottom of the bin a bit more and re paint the black section with an epoxy resin paint which is what I have used on the chassis of Lorry. Humpty is now ready to be loaded back onto Lorry and then ready to go to the next Rally a few hours South of here in a weeks time. Hope you like what I have done to humpty to make him more enjoyable and user friendly for us.
Cheers Cobba

Return to “Dumpers”