Unknown make & model Dumper

Discuss dumpers here

Whitlock 505
Flag: Wales

Re: Unknown make & model Dumper

Post #11 by Whitlock 505 » Fri May 25, 2018 9:09 am

cobbadog wrote:I know that this MIGHT help in the identity of the dumper and it is unbelievable that I haven't noticed this earlier but today as I am working on redesigning the hand brake set up I noticed on the steering wheel hub the letters MCC. Does this help at all in find a maker?

Mcc could well be recognition of the companies roots in concrete as they were called Liner concrete machinery company :thumbup:

Topic author
cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #12 by cobbadog » Wed May 30, 2018 8:23 am

Thanks for the positive feedback and compliment.

I do have a question and that is;
What type of hand brake was on these originally and is there a picture of it and how it worked?

Not having a lot of positive fun with my current idea! :arrrrgh: :lol:
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
cobbadog

Post #13 by cobbadog » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:56 am

UPDATE.
Well yesterday I made a giant step forward in the design and manufacturer of a working hand brake. Some of the pictures I've seen on YouTube led me to believe that a sent piece of flat bar iron went from the handle to that triangular pivot point on the chassis but below the bucket. Other bits of information indicted a cable so this is the way I went, right or wrong but it does work. I built a small bracket with a home made pulley and bolted it to the chassis so that the edge of the pulley is directly above the pivot point. A cable has been tried already to confirm that it will work and I can get that made properly next week when I'm back in town.
Sorry about the hold down strap being in the way of the pivot point but you should get it idea of where it is going.
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
cobbadog

Post #14 by cobbadog » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:06 am

Still on this Liner - Roughrider Dumper. What information should be on the ID plate that should be attached to the rear panel below the bonnet.
Make, Model, Engine details and possibly Gearbox as well, but I believe that my model is a 1250. But a 1250 what? Is this a weight in kilos and does it represent the weight of the vehicle or its pay load?
Cheers Cobba

Johnson Dumper
Flag: Germany

Post #15 by Johnson Dumper » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:08 pm

cobbadog wrote: I believe that my model is a 1250. But a 1250 what? Is this a weight in kilos and does it represent the weight of the vehicle or its pay load?

Topic author
cobbadog

Post #16 by cobbadog » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:20 am

I now have a working hand brake using a cable. I will now take off the back of Lorry and give the rest a good check over and drive it about and then a photo shoot out the front. I am having some decals made to what I like and not quite like the originals look like but it will ID Humpty . I also have to organise an ID plate to fit on the rear panel to the side of the crank handle. I also have a directional arrow to show which way to crank on its way here too. Then it will be time to take him to his first Rally and then once home after that it is time to repair the steering box with all its free play. All ball joints are in good condition it is just the box that has a heap of free play so I have to work out what is wrong and how to fix.

Any clues on the box will be gratefully appreciated.
Cheers Cobba

oldbikeles

Post #17 by oldbikeles » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:02 pm

Cobbadog, today I got the first chance to get to the dumper again, and I took some photos. It looks however if you have go the handbrake sorted now, so probably a bit pointless, but I will post two anyway.
Your machine looks rather cleaner than mine!
Les.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
cobbadog

Post #18 by cobbadog » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:04 am

Cheers Les and thank you for going to all that trouble. Your clear images have helped me a lot in case I do have to loose my cable design then I can easily make the flat bar original. I was not sure what was used and as usual answers turn up at some odd times but they are still very helpful. I will unload Humpty on the weekend and try the cable system out to confirm how good it really is. If it fails I now have a good idea on the original. I take it that for the flat bar to be used a short piece must hang down from the hand brake lever itself. Is that correct?
Cheers Jhon
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
cobbadog

Post #19 by cobbadog » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:45 am

Today I confirmed that the cable on the handbrake works well, so far which is a good thing. If any issues arise I will then make a flat bar rod to do the job as shown above by oldbikeles.

The decals should be here soon and well in time for the first Rally for Humpty Dumpy as should the filters, air, oil and fuel.

My next job to tackle is the steering box. All ball joints are in good condition and no movement so it is all in the box. What needs to be done to repair this problem? Is it something that can be done in the back yard by adding or removing shims or is there more to it?

Pic of Humpty in the front yard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
cobbadog

Post #20 by cobbadog » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:37 am

Well I have stopped any further work until after the Rally next weekend. Humpty will go on his debut at a truck show which also has tractors and engines. I have moved the exhaust to go out the back as I will be fitting an extra seat for De to ride on when we do the Grand Parades or just driving around. I've added some decals as well and the hand brake works a treat with the cable but if it gives any issues I now have the information to make the original design metal rods to actuate the hand brake. Humpty has now been greased and boy were some of them dry. The pivot on the rear axle took a lot of grease before it showed at each end. I will also replace some of the nipples that are straight with right angles ones for ease of access. All new filters are in place for air, fuel and oil and I will do an oil change on the gear box and diff when we get back also. Humpty is slowly coming together as we want him to.
Cheers Cobba

Return to “Dumpers”