Jeremy Rowland

Re: Unknown make & model Dumper

Post #31 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:31 pm

Nice one John :thumbup:

noddy
Flag: Great Britain

Post #32 by noddy » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:34 pm

hi with that chassis no it is certainly a liner dumper they have gone out of business now but if you get in touch with the liner mixer company in uk there md would be able to tell you year of manufacture as they have the original paperwork i will see if i can find phone number if you want it i have a 2250 model from 1974 alan

Topic author
cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #33 by cobbadog » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:40 am

Hi Alan,
Thanks for the added information. Everything about this one is Liner made by comparing other known models of the same make. It is funny how you never see one when you want one and once you take one out to a Rally they are every where. So many of our Club members have them but had no interest in showing them. Now they are turning up on a regular basis.
I will do just that and contact the Liner Mixer company via email and see what they come up with. Ours is off to another Show tomorrow for another fun day out. Then it is back to the Cropmaster restoration during the spring and Summer here.
Cheers Cobba

Andy2877

Post #34 by Andy2877 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:49 pm

Hi, I've recently bought an old Liner Roughrider. I'm in Sydney, Australia. It's a lot dirtier than yours but I'm in the process of stripping it down, painting and rebuilding. I'm trying to find out what diff it has. It doesn't look like a Land Rover Sailsbury from the pics I've found on the internet. Does mine look like yours?

Topic author
cobbadog

Post #35 by cobbadog » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:12 am

G'Day Andy,
Yes mine has the same upside down mounted Land Rover diff or at least I believe it is a Rover diff as it does run Land Rover standard wheels. The main difference between yours and mine is that you have louvers in your panel work as mine doesn't.
Do you have a problem with your diff or are you trying to identify everything?
Are you able to post a clear picture of the identification tag that maybe on the back panel left hand side?
Mine is missing and I want to duplicate one for mine using all the right numbers that I have. We are only a few hours up the road near Taree, so if you are ever up this way by all means call in.
Cheers John
Cheers Cobba

Andy2877

Post #36 by Andy2877 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:15 pm

Hi John, thanks for the info. Yes the diff is leaking at one side of the half shafts into the hub and also where the main drive shaft attaches. I was hoping to put in some new seals while I had it all stripped down.

The 40M gearbox is also a mess, was full of water and mud. I'm waiting for a rebuild kit to come from L&S in the UK.

The only ID tag I can see on it is to the left of the lifting hook. You can see it in the second picture up there (just to the right on this angle). I haven't cleaned it up yet but I'll get a better picture for you when I get back to Sydney next week.

I can't find any pictures of Landrover diffs online that match mine. Hopefully a Landrover expert will be able to ID it for me then I can try and track down the seals I need.

I'll be sure to give you a shout if I'm up Taree way. Same to you if you're down around Sydney!

Cheers

Topic author
cobbadog

Post #37 by cobbadog » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:50 am

Hi Andy,
You do not need to know make and model of the diff to buy new seals. I strip what ever I am rebuilding either Humpty or a tractor and take the old seals into a bearing Service in Taree and they look at the numbers on the old seals and match them or they measure the OD, ID and width of what you have and simply put the new ones on the counter. It is magic!
Something that I did have to do when doing all new seals on the rear axle and reduction box of our David Brown Cropmaster tractor was that the surface the seal ran on was not the best. Again Bearing services has the answer to this. They are called 'speedi-sleeves'. These are round thin sheet metal sleeves that fit over the axle surface and leave you with a brand new smooth surface and you still use the same size seal. They certainly have saved me a lot of drama in trying to buy new shafts that are almost impossible to buy.
So take it apart and take the old seals to a bearing service place near you and as they are cheap to buy replace all the seals and away you go with no oil leaks. Good luck with replacing the seals, it has to be the easiest part of the restoration.
Let me know if you have trouble sourcing the seals and maybe the guy at the bearing service place if he has been doing his job for a long time will tell you what diff they come from.
Cheers Cobba

essexpete

Post #38 by essexpete » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:33 pm

With the dumper gearboxes look out for the gear lever gator as I think that is where water gets in.

Topic author
cobbadog

Post #39 by cobbadog » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:42 am

For the rubber boot to go over the gear lever measure the OD of the gear leaver just above the gear box and measure the OD of the bump in the gearbox and head to the tractor store. They have many different sizes for different makes of tractors and positions. eg some are for gear levers and some for steering parts and some for hydraulics.
Cheers Cobba

Andy2877

Post #40 by Andy2877 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:03 pm

Thanks guys,
I got the seals for the axle from my local bearing Shop as suggested. They couldn't get the pinion Seal so I did some digging and found that a 2001 Jeep Cherokee shares the same diff. I've ordered this seal from eBay.
More pics of the restoration on my thread: Andy2877 @ Liner Roughrider 1250
Cheers

Return to “Dumpers”