Rod brakes repairs tip

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
freddyuk

Rod brakes repairs tip

Post #1 by freddyuk » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:53 am

I thought I would share this tip for anyone with an older dumper with rod operated brakes. It is difficult to find parts now for Lockheed brakes especially in Ireland.
I needed to replace the short cable from the foot brake pedal to the brake actuator on the front axle beam. The cable goes over the rear axle and the cable starts to fracture at this point. I am not sure if there should be a spacer to lift the cable above the axle to prevent this happening but mine needed to be replaced anyway as the cable strands were broken.
I went to a sail rigging store to get a new length of cable with threaded stud and fork of correct length. Problem is the old stud is Whitworth thread and so is the fork which is threaded to adjust onto it but all the studs now are metric so you cannot use the old fork. Getting a new one is impossible.
My solution was to drill out the old fork thread with 16/24" drill (8.3mm) and insert a helicoil. It took about ten minutes and I could then put standard M8 locking nut and the old fork on the stud end to attach to the brake pedal. Works a treat and easy to do.

Next job is to repair the old steering wheel which has lost a lot of its covering.

Whitlock 505
Flag: Wales

Re: Rod brakes repairs tip

Post #2 by Whitlock 505 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:36 am

Good tip fair play

Return to “Dumpers”