Rubber gaiters - Thwaites

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
freddyuk

Rubber gaiters - Thwaites

Post #1 by freddyuk » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:22 pm

I am looking for a pair of rubber gaiters to fit the oblong hole for the brake actuator lever through the backplate. I have tried David Cornwallis without success.
Anyone know where to go for these or is there an alternative?
Thanks

essexpete

Re: Rubber gaiters - Thwaites

Post #2 by essexpete » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:06 pm

I would guess they were not made specifically for Thwaites but could be found somewhere else. I guess you have tride google for rubber boot/gaiter for rod brakes?
Is this a Nimbus or Orion? I believe the clutch shoes were Triumph so there might be a starter.

Topic author
freddyuk

Post #3 by freddyuk » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:46 am

I think it is a Nimbus (left hand drive) but not sure how to tell exactly.
I do know the adjuster has the bolts and peg in a line whereas all the old triumph and Mini etc have the bolts offset from the adjuster peg so I am still looking for what car these actually come from.

essexpete

Post #4 by essexpete » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:19 pm

The Nimbus is physically smaller than the Orion, and, IIRR, 3 stud rear steering axle. I think you might be right about LHD, Orion RHD.

Topic author
freddyuk

Post #5 by freddyuk » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:34 am

I have been calling these gaiters by the wrong name! They are in fact "brake expander rubber boots". Clearly no longer available new there must be some on a dusty shelf somewhere........ or there is a round version available which may or may not fit on the square aperture on the backplate. I will have to try this option.
The existing brake "expanders" have been revived from being locked solid with corrosion to working again. One has almost lost it's pivot pin which has come halfway out of the expander unit and then been bent by such pressure on the brake pedal. The pin is back in but it needs peening to prevent it coming out again as it is loose. Not really long enough to peen over so need to resolve this.
The cable pivot pins have been removed and the split pins drilled out as everything is seized solid. I am waiting for some brake adjusters to arrive and I can then start to put the brakes back together.
For the record the brakes are Lockheed and nothing is available!

Return to “Dumpers”